Monday, December 10, 2012

The Christmas Spider

For as long as I can remember putting up our tree at Christmastime included a special tradition.  My mom would bring out the spider.  Made from two craft store pearls with legs made of wire and gold beads.  One of us would hold it as she read the story about the spiders at Christmastime.  We would listen smiling widely and would hope that this year was our turn to place the spider on the tree.  The story very simple but a great story to remind us of Christ's love for all things big and small.  Then after the story was done one of us would get the chance to place the spider somewhere on the tree.  There we could see it all season long and have it remind us of the story and think about its meaning.  A very simple tradition but one that each of us girls loved.  When I got married I asked for a copy of the story but didn't actually make our own spider until the year Hunter was big enough to put it on the tree.  Not going to lie but it melted my heart to sit as our little family of three and read this favorite childhood story and watch his chubby little toddler hand reach up and place the spider on the tree.  We have carried on this tradition.  I guess I didn't realize how much my children have also come to love this story until this year.  After decorating our tree we turned out all the lights to see it in its full glory and then Hunter excitedly started telling the girls to sit down and get ready for the spider story.  I grabbed the Christmas book as Hunter and Ave adjusted and readjusted trying both to fit on the loveseat with their pillows and blankets.  Emma climbed up on the couch next to me as close as she could get sensing something exciting happening but not quite sure what all the fuss was about.  Deke sat beside us with Mr. Hudson bundled in his arms eyes wide in the darkness.  Sucking fast on his pacifier a little unsure about what was happening.  As I read the story I watched the kids, they were smiling wide listening intently.  Emma sat next to me being given the job of holding the spider.  Only two and still not quite getting it we tried to show her how to cup it in her hand.  She would for a second and then she would hold it up by one leg and make a face of distaste and say, "it's a spider, I don't like it"  we assured her that it wasn't real and that it was nice.  She continued to look unsure.  After the story Hunter and Avery excitedly told her it was her first time to put the spider on the tree.  She looked less than enthused as her older siblings gave her questioning looks as if to ask if she understood the grand privilige she was being given.
 She walked over found a branch and placed the little spider on the tree as had been done so many years before.  It is always special for me the first time each of the kids put the spider on the tree for the first time.  I love traditions.  Things that the kids look forward to all year as a special part of our Christmastime.  I love seeing the little pearl spider on the tree, it makes me smile.

No comments: