Thursday, September 20, 2012

Of course she trained herself.

I had been totally discouraged.  There has been such a lack of interest in the subject since she turned two that I really haven't even brought it up.  We tried getting her excited about it, tried pointing out her friends that wore big girl panties, asked if she would like to go.  Every time she would cutely reply "No, I not want to mommy.  No thanks."  I had resolved myself to the thought that I was going to for the first time have two kids in diapers. Hunter and Ave were both just a month or two shy of turning three when they potty trained.  Hunter's was an up and down rollercoaster of off and on readiness and then no interest for months before he finally got consistent and trained.  Avery had little interest here and there but then a month short of turning three trained fully through the night and everything in one weekend.  Then almost three weeks ago Emma and I woke up and I realized that we were out of diapers and since we only had one vehicle at the time and Deke had it I had no diapers for her until his lunch break.  I went in and grabbed a pair of Avery's underwear and told her that we had no more diapers and so she would have to wear Ave's special big girl panties. I told her that she couldn't get Avery's pretty underwear wet so she would have to go on the potty.  This is going to be  a nightmare I thought to myself imagining all the clean up and headache.  Determined to at least try I started setting a timer and taking her every twenty minutes.  After about an hour I quickly remembered how EXHAUSTING potty training is and especially when you are this pregnant.  However soon after I put her on the potty and she actually peed!!!! I was floored. Lucky chance I thought sure that it would not happen again.  So I continued all day every twenty minutes making the trek to the bathroom having her step up the stairs since I am on a lifting restriction and she went eight times by the time Deke came home from work with only one accident all day!!!!!  I practically lived in that bathroom for the entire day.  Now I was motivated.  My back was killing me, I was exhausted but I was determined no turning back now I was going to push this full steam ahead.  That night I put her in a pullup and the next morning right into big girl panties.  She peed on the toilet all day, no accidents and even stayed dry in underwear during nap.  Icing on the cake was that by the second day she was coming and telling me she had to go potty.  I kept shaking my head in disbelief and waiting for the fallout.      
With her fun princess seat, enough books for a lifetime and plenty of crackers, and fun treats to motivate we pushed ahead having the entire family make a huge deal every single time she used the bathroom.



That night we took her to WalMart and told her to pick out whatever panties she wanted.  She quickly chose some Tangled ones and another pack of princess ones.
Cheesy grin in the cart at WalMart getting her first pairs....
She may have also gotten a doctor kit for her baby dolls and a really cute set of Minnie Mouse dishes for her kitchen as well :) :) :)
After three days without accidents and staying dry at nap time and waking up in a dry pullup by morning I was convinced that she was trained.  It is amazing!!!! So nice to have a small break from the diapers and I am so grateful for the break on the budget as well to not be buying diapers for two.  It is crazy to me that she is six months younger than the other kids were and she practically trained herself in a day or two.  She is AWESOME!!  It is still so weird to me that she is old enough to be taking this step because she has been my baby for so long it is hard to realize that she isn't anymore and that she is a big sister now.  It didn't help that in the same week that she potty trained she also informed us that she didn't want to sleep in her crib she wanted a big girl bed like Avery.  First night didn't get up once, second night the same.  Like the potty training, amazing!!!!  She sleeps in a big girl bed now every night, never an issue.  Again six months earlier with this milestone than her older siblings.  The first night tucking her into the bed her looking so small in this giant bed I bawled like a baby.  It has been hard for me, I am proud of her and know it is time but she is the baby that I waited so long for and accepting that she is one no longer has been hard for me.  I shouldn't feel this way because I held, snuggled, played, kissed and enjoyed every single moment of her babyhood and don't feel like I missed out on anything but since I have been pregnant she has turned two and transformed into a full fledged toddler and I have moments of missing that tiny baby girl.  I am so thankful though for her smooth transition into two life changes that can be a little challenging.  Like her personality she peacefully and happily glides right through making it look so easy.  I love you Miss E, you are such a beautiful big toddler and you are going to be a great big sister.  Good job sweet girl :)




2 comments:

Grandma Sharon says. . . said...

Our oldest daughter (second child) potty trained overnight. She wiggled and squirmed and wouldn't let me put a diaper on her so I grabbed a pair of training pants and said "don't you dare wet these." She never did. She was 18 months old. She also taught herself to read before she went to kindergarten. She wasn't going to be outdone by her older brother. All children are different, some amazing and some challenging. You're a good mother. I pray for you and your new baby and your family. You all are sweethearts. Lots of Love.

Mrs. Burch said...

I've been trying to find out if the email address I have for you is correct, but just in case- I thought I'd comment on here and hope this finds you.

So sorry about the lame gift without any correspondence or any note as to who it was from! I sent Doug to ship it for me and in the craziness of getting it off on time, I forgot to put a note on it, and let's face it - guys don't think of these things. So - I also then meant to call or email or get the word to someone that it was coming, and never got to that either, so you had a mystery gift. It was really fun shopping for Mr. Hudson, and we're super excited for the new arrival. Our prayers and hopes are with all of you for a healthy and happy delivery.

All our love - Kerri and Family. :)