Thursday, February 24, 2011

Not really feelin the love

Ah Valentine's Day, a time to embrace one's love for pink, smell the roses, and indulge in some gluttonous chocolate consumption. My kids are usually busy with crayons, glue sticks and construction paper working on homemade cards. Deke is busy scheming up a creative gift idea for me. I am busy crafting and preparing gifts for teachers, neighbors, grandmas and so forth. The pantry is nicely stocked with sugary goodies of different varieties. The kids have little valentine's surprises all prepared by Deke and I. We have planned some sort of romantic night or date. This year at the Burch household...not so much. Oh it started out that way, I had started my little love countdown posts on the blog, I had already bought Valentine's shirts for the girls. They were perfect. Avery's said "I love Daddy" and Em's said "I love Mommy" which is true to their personalities. Ave is a daddies girl and Emma is a mommy's girl. I had been purusing the internet for cute Valentine gifts ideas and pondering on what to get the kids. Then on the Thursday before Valentine's Day Hunter came home from school feeling a little yucky. By evening he was running 102* and coughing pretty bad. Needless to say he went down pretty hard. I have not seen him that sick in a long time. Trying to quarrantine him from the girls and yet still take care of all three of them was challenging. He would want me to rub his back meanwhile I see Emma book it around the corner headed into the bathroom to get into who knows what. Washing sheets and blankets and fixing lunch and oh yes there is still a baby to nurse. Saturday I was exhausted. Only to find that from the time we woke up until we went to bed that night that the rest of the household was "dropping like flies" with the sickness. Avery was running 102* Emma was 103* all three were coughing up a storm. By nighttime Deke was running a fever and coughing really bad. Like a whirlwind I went through the house pulling sheets, administiring medicine, rewetting washcloths. Poor Emma was so larthargic she was just laying around on the floor in and out of sleep for a full 48 hrs while the high fever raged on. I would pick her up and put her to my chest, she was like a little furnace and she would just sleep and only stay awake long enough to eat or get a quick bath. It is interesting to me how much of their personalities still come through even when they are sick. Hunter wants me to rub his back and could I hand him Rusty to snuggle with he is sure that he is so sick that he is going to die. Avery coughed so hard she threw up all over the floor and yet has not complained once about being sick. She just lays and rests, every once in awhile asking me to bring her something. Emma just wants mommy and wants me to snuggle her. My neck is so sore from bending my head forward so she can play with my hair. ( A fettish I will write about later) all three of them wanted mommy to make them better all at the same time. Not to mention Deke was down in bed and feeling really crummy. I have never had all three of them sick at once and it was so exhausting. I have not been that tired in a long time. Then after running as hard as I could all day they would take turns being up and down all night. Even when they were all in bed then one of the four of them were coughing at all times throughout the night. We took the kids in and got an antibiotic for Miss E, by Monday Hunter was almost out of it and Avery was doing significantly better. Deke was diagnosed with bronchitis and started his medicine. I was exhausted. So for Valentine's day our day consisted of four out of the five of us laying around and sleeping, coughing and feverish. Mom taking care of everyone, cleaning like a mad women trying to kill the germs and wondering if she would ever get to leave the house again. Instead of giving them delicious treats a strict regimine of acadolphilus, vitamin C, Puff's plus tissue and Tylenol was given. Great. The highlight of the day was that we got a heart shaped pizza from Papa Murphy's which was really cute. It doesn't look like a heart here and it actually looks kind of burnt but it wasn't and was very yummy. The advertisment for it makes a better picture: By Wednesday Hunter had gone back to school and everyone else was pretty much out of it so we decided to do a little late Valentine's Day celebration. We had ham an tiny little red fingerling potatoes with a nice green salad and some vidalia onion dressing. Plus I had found these adorable mini Martinelli's that were smaller than a water bottle so each person had their own. These are seriously so cute I had to take a couple of pictures of them next to a water bottle to give you an idea. Individual sparkling ciders, cute and delicious. I also snagged a couple cute pictures of the girls in their Valentine's Day shirts today. They are so sweet. We are all healthy now thank goodness and hey it doesn't have to be Valentine's day to enjoy something sweet so I'd say it's time to go out and get something :)

No comments: