Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Day 9- getting to be a stay at home mom


I am always grateful for this opportunity but some days I really feel the depth of my gratitude to my husband for all the hard work he does to help keep me home with the kids. Today Hunter is home sick. He woke up this morning and laid next to me and was burning up with a fever. All day I have been taking care of him and trying to get his fever down. Getting him water or rubbing his back trying to help him feel better. He is distraught about possibly missing his class Valentine's party tomorrow and the opportunity to give his valentine card to Allison :) I keep thinking how lucky I am to be able to be here to take care of him. I don't have to call in to work or have him stay with Grandma because I have to work. My work is here now. I remember one day working at La Petite and Hunter had a low grade fever but I was the manager on duty and Marilyn was out of town. I couldn't go home and Deke couldn't come get him so all I could do was pull a cot into my inner office and let him sleep in there while I worked. He was only four and just wanted me but I had to keep working. It was so hard. I remember a couple of times where Ave who was only about eighteen months or so had gotten sick but Marilyn wouldn't give me the day off and so Lisa allowed me to bring her to her house anyways so that I wouldn't lose my job. I dropped her off and she would be crying and reaching for me with her blanket. It was so hard. I am so grateful to be home with them. Even though have worked very minimal out of the home during our marriage, the two years I was at La Petite were very trying. This last year and a half of being home has been wonderful. This morning as I was attempting to clean out the fridge Emma kept crawling over and pulling stuff out of the fridge door. She kept getting right under my feet and smiling up at me. It was cracking me up. Avery and I sat down and played some alphabet games on pbskids.org and did magnet letters on the fridge. I love being here for all for Emma's many milestones, being able to play with Ave and being able to walk and pick Hunter up from the bus. I am not going to pretend that there aren't days where my teething baby cries all afternoon and hangs onto my pant leg while I attempt to make dinner while Avery has made a giant mess of tiny Pet shop accessories all over the floor of her room and Hunter keeps digging up stuff in the dirt in the planters outside all in the name of exploration. Days like that are all to common. However they will only be little like this for so long and I am glad that I am here with them while they are.

No comments: