Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Old Stormalong

Hunter's class has been studying tall tales and they were assigned a story and asked to create a short script and then act it out for the class in groups.  Two people were in charge of the backdrop, another was in charge of the props and one to write the script.  Hunter was in charge of the script and came home and spent a couple of days preparing a short script for their tale of Old Stormalong:

Narrator: Long ago just before George Washington became our first President, and fireworks lit up the sky on the fourth of July a boy named Alfred Bulltop Stormalong was born.

Mother: “Oh my Alfred you are going to grow up to be a nice big worker.”

Stormalong: “Gaga googoo, mama.”

Mother: “I’ll call you Stormalong, I think you will be a great man.”

Narrator: Years later Stormalong went looking for a job. 

Stormalong: “Let’s see I can only become a lobster trapper, a farmer or a sailor, I wonder what I should do?”

Mother: “Now Alfred, we come from a farming family so I would like you to become a farmer, but if you become a sailor or a lobster trapper that is fine with me.”

Stormalong: “Mom, I would like to become a sailor, my heart is drawn to the sea. The taller I get, the more I can see.”   

Narrator:  So, Stormalong made himself grow. By now he was six feet tall and had signed up to be a whaler on a ship.

Captain: “Now crew we have a new sailor, his name is Alfred Bulltop Stormalong.”

Narrator: Stormalong loved being a sailor and wanted to see more, so he made up his mind to grow even taller so he could spot more whales.”

Stormalong: “I see a group of whales, let’s go get them!”

Captain: “Ready the harpoons!”

Narrator: The ship started to sail but it stopped shortly after.

Captain: “What in the world is happening?”

Narrator: Stormalong dove into the sea and saw that a giant octopus had a hold of the ship.  He tied all of its legs into a sailors knot.

Captain: “What happened?”

Stormalong: “It was nothing.   I swam under the water and saw that an octopus had grabbed a hold of the ship with its eight long arms, so I tied a knot in each one.  He won’t be grabbing anymore ships anytime soon.”

Captain: “Men, we are lucky to have Stormalong on our crew.”

Narrator: Stormalong’s skills as a sailor continued to grow.  He continued to grow as well.  He soon became too large to fit into the small whaling boats so he learned to throw a harpoon twenty five fathoms away in order to catch a whale.  Stormalong loved his life on the sea but he soon grew too big for the ship. 

Captain: “I heard that a ship is being built, her name is the Albatross.  She’s the biggest boat ever built, so big in fact that the sailors use horses to travel across the decks. Her sails were sewn in the Sahara desert because they were so gigantic.”

Stormalong: “You know what, that ships going to need a captain with experience and I’m the guy for the job.  Captain, I am sorry to leave you but it’s time for me to sail onto different adventures.”

Narrator: Stormalong became the Captain of the Albatross and was able to live out his lifelong dream. He now stood four fathoms high. He continued to sail to mysterious and wonderful places all around the globe until his last days.
         The end .

No comments: