Saturday, February 15, 2014

Her yearly case of love-sickness

EVERY year.  Every year on Valentine's day Miss E is sick.  Literally every one since she has been born.  I pretty much think it's the saddest thing and wonder if she is going to hate this holiday.  I mean what are the chances of being sick every year on the exact same day?  Her first Valentine's day before she turned one she got really sick with a very high fever and bad cough.  She spent the entire day getting doses of Tylenol and sleeping on Deke's chest it was so sad.  She was totally lethargic all day.  The next year she woke up Valentine's morning with a high fever that she ran for three days.    Again she spent all day with her blanket going between Deke and I laying in our arms. Poor little thing.  Last year was a repeat but she had gotten sick a few days before Valentine's day and was starting to pull out of it on the actual day.  However she still had a low grade temp and couldn't have any sweets and was too low energy to go do anything fun.  This year I was so worried about it and then last week she got sick.  High fever, coughing etc. etc. but it had come early!!  The pediatrician said it was just a virus and that it would resolve in a couple days.  She should be over it by Valentine's day I told Deke excitedly.  She would be done with her sickness and able to enjoy for the first time all the festivities of the day.  The Monday before Valentine's she was fever free and doing good, we were so happy.  She excitedly made her homemade Valentine's, made a cute Strawberry shortcake box to hold her cards and talked non stop about her "Valentine's party at the YMCA with her friends".
Thursday (the day before Valentine's day) she woke up with a fever and coughing.  I took her to the pediatrician and they had to irrigate her ear to better see her eardrum and then swab her nose to test and sure enough she tested positive for Influenza A.  I got in the car to head home and I cried.  She asked about her party and I told her she couldn't go now and then we both cried.  I was so frustrated!!  Why? Why was this happening to her again on this day. Ugh.  I called Deke and told him I didn't care what we did but we were going to make sure that she had a great Valentine's day.  The kids joked that Emma "really does get a love sickness every Valentine's day".
 She woke up that morning and Ave and I made her breakfast in bed and brought it to her on a tray while she watched cartoons on the laptop.  While she rested we all made a ton of paper valentine's for her and filled her box with them and other treats for her to eat when she got better.  When she woke up and saw her box full she started grinning and pulling them out to look at them.  "Wow, I got so much cards from everybody, I have lots of Valentine's cards" she said.  Daddy had bought her Despicable Me 2 to watch and we let her go to the store and when each kid got to pick something under ten dollars for a valentine's surprise she chose the "baby dreamlight" that she has been eyeing for over a month.  We played games and snuggled and there was still tears when the older kids went to their class parties but I know she had a good day.  I'd better start putting the vibe out there now, next year we are going to break this cycle and she is going to be healthy for Valentine's day.  Oh Emma I guess it is because you are just so sweet already.  I love you baby girl Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: