Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mummy' crafts and spooky foods

We have been doing all sorts of fun crafts and seasonal foods this month. I love finding those little free craft cards at different stores with fun ideas for the kids. Hunter is always finding pictures in magazines at the grocery store or seeing something when we are out and about that we can try and make. The other day I saw this simple craft idea to take dollar store glass cups and a fabric paint pen and decorate them with spiders and webs. It was super easy for the kids, inexpensive and they got really creative with it. Here is Avery's cup with her first little spider hanging from its "string." Deke working on his cup that turned out awesome. I love his skull and crossbones.Hunter did several sketch variations before he started working on his.
He did a nice big web and a spider with what he calls a "fancy S" do you rememember the first time you learned how to make an S like this?? I remember learning this and being so proud of myself. I think it stood for the Stussy brand a clothing brand that was popular when I was in high school. I am not even sure if they are a brand anymore. It is funny the way that life circles around. Ave working on her cup.
I LOVE Ave's cup. She decorated it with some random spiders hanging from strings, her name and this part which was my favorite. See the picture of the girl falling getting reading to land on the spiders . Very unique, actually the spookiest one in my opinion. The little observer of the bunch. Sitting on top of the table to feel like she is part of the action. Her hair is getting so much longer now I can actually put it in these cute little loops. So much fun. So cute. Here's everyone's cups all decorated up. The kids have wanted to drink from their Halloween cups every night. The other project card I found was to make Mummy vases to hold tea light candles in on a table. It again was some simple glass dollar store vases, some cheesecloth, needle and black thread and some fake spiders. Wrap the cheesecloth around the vases....

Take a needle and thread and let the kids create stitches in a line up one side. The kids loved the fact that they got to use a needle to "do some sewing."




Then we threw a plastic spider on there and put a tea light candle in it. When they are lit up they look really cool and make a fun decoration to add onto your table. We have had dinner a couple of nights by their candlelight.

We also made meatball mummy subs a couple of weeks ago but they didn't turn out as fun as I had hoped. It could have been due to me keeping track of two toddlers, trying to have a phone conversation and get it all done in time to leave for dance that it didn't really turn out. The kids loved it anyways and we will try it again next year.






The other night we made pizzas in different Halloween shapes. Avery who is on a Frankenstein kick ever since the pumpkin activity decided that she could make a Frank pizza.I made a jack o lantern pizza. Bug made his favorite skeleton pizza. I think this is his third year making a skeleton pizza. I love the way he shaped the head and especially love the way he makes the mouth. Add some green Gatorade that the kids said they were pretending was slime into their Halloween cups, turn on a movie and eat it all picnic style on the living room floor. A great movie night with the kids.

No comments: