Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I will never forget this...

There are simple moments with your kids that you will always remember. This will be one of them. Ave has been asking for awhile now to "go to dance class." Hunter decided to play soccer this fall and so Avery decided that she would like to do ballet/tap class. Grandma McWhorter, Avery, Emma and I went and took her shopping for tap and ballet shoes, leotards, tights and tutus. It was SO much fun. She seriously looked so adorable in all of them. She got a black and pink leotard with attached tutus and a bright purple tutu that she can wear over either of her plain leotards. Then came the process of calling different studios and going to five different places for "trial classes." Emma thoroughly enjoys being a spectator. I am really glad we did this though since some were definitely better than others. We had a trial class at a particular studio one night, it had a small class size which was nice and while watching the class I was really impressed with the teacher. She did a great job with the girls, helping them when they weren't getting it and teaching them various techniques. I couldn't stop smiling watching Ave out there with a group of girls all done up in pink dance attire. They all looked so cute. What is it about those stinkin tutus that is just so darn cute. They just are. She kept turning and looking to make sure I was watching every five seconds and occasionally gave me a wave. About ten minutes before the class was over the teacher brought out a box and started attaching little battery operated tea light candles to their wrists and ankles with elastic bands. The girls were chatting and giggling with excitement. She then turned out the lights and turned on a beautiful song about fireflies. She told the girls to go ahead and dance on their own for a few minutes, to pretend that they were beautiful fireflies dancing in the night. I looked over and Avery had gone to the right side of the room all by herself. She was standing in front of the mirror, softly moving her arms and legs in different positions, then she started slowly twirling hands over her head. The lights on her hands lighting up her face everytime she brought them close. Her face with an angelic look of deep thought as she danced as if she was in her own world. I suddenly felt drawn into her moment everything around was still only the music playing and it was just me watching her dance as if no one else was there. It wasn't the dance she was doing since there were really no formal steps to it, it was the movement that was natural and free like you would imagine dance should be, an expression of something inside of her that was all her own. She was beautiful, and I became overwhelmed at my love for her, my admiration for who she is and joy in getting to be the one to take care of her. Overwhelmed at what a beautiful little girl she is and that she is my daughter. It was so tender. The song ended and so did my moment, all of a sudden I was aware of the tears that had been very steadily streaming down my cheeks. A couple of the other moms looked at me and at first I was embarrassed. No one else seemed to be having this sort of emotional reaction, I was crying at dance class. Then I realized it didn't matter how anyone else was reacting, I have waited my whole life to be a mom and to have moments like this with these precious babies that have been entrusted to me. So I soaked my moment in for the quick seconds I got before my toddler tugged at my pants for a licorice and went to hug my daughter.



3 comments:

Josh and Claudia Tieman said...

So cute! I just love Little Miss Avery! She looks absolutely beautiful and looks like she is already doing great :)

CJ said...

Oh my gosh. She has beautiful form! I definitely think you have a dancer on your hands. It makes me so happy. I love dance. You described it beautifully!

Grandma Sharon says. . . said...

What a precious moment.