Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Thankful for her.

 When it comes to school performances instead of thinking of Christmastime, I always think about Thanksgiving.  Neither of my kids had ever done one and so when Ave came home and announced that the second grade was doing a performance the week before Thanksgiving I was so excited!!  She was a pilgrim girl and so her and I hurried over to Savers to find stuff to make a quick apron for her.  When we got to the school that night she asked me to go back into her classroom with her to help her get ready.  She had wanted a "special braid" for her hair so I looked up a new one on Pinterest and we tried it.  She was worried that while changing into her outfit she would mess her hair up and wanted me to "help stretch out the top part of the shirt and pull it over so it doesn't get all crazy."  She talked and talked away about her excitement as I stretched the shirt out and helped her dress.  Then tied her apron and got her bonnet secured.  She went up on her tiptoes and gave herself a one over and then smiled.  "Good" she said and then headed to the door.  A wide smile still plastered on her face she went into her room to wait as I headed back to our seat in the cafeteria.  Soon they all came walking out, second graders of all sizes, Pilgrim boys with buckle hats, girls in bonnets and aprons and Indians too.  
 They were adorable.  The teachers had done a great job on the backdrop and the music was great!!!  Avery was so cute.  Singing every word and doing all the hand motions.  Making eye contact with us and smiling.  She was loving it.  They sang a song called "What are you thankful for" and some of the kids had been asked to share something they were thankful for.  Several of the kids said things like video games or chocolate or other things to get the crowd to laugh.  When it was Avery's turn she walked up and said "my home."  It melted my heart.  I had been standing up in the back taking pictures and looked over, Deke and I caught eyes from across the room and shared a moment of love for this sweet daughter of ours.
 I loved the kid that got to wear the sweet hat and hold the sign....
 They all did such a good job.  It was definitely my favorite school performance for any of my kids so far.  Afterwards of course we had to have fun getting a few more pics.  Here is Ave with Nathan Farnsworth our neighbors and family friends.
 Avery hurried me up to the stage because she wanted a picture with the turkey and was dying to get a picture holding the sign.
 One thing that just kept hitting us that night as we watched her was how much she is growing up.  She is such a beautiful, silly, brave, capable little girl.  Lately I feel like the years are just flying by and can't believe how quickly.  Our brown eyed girl :) :) :)
 As we headed to the car she ran over to Deke and he scooped her up.  She looked so big in his arms and I remembered how tiny she was for so long.  We love you so much Avery, you did awesome on your performance tonight.  We are so thankful for you.

No comments: