Thursday, December 12, 2013

Just a good kid.

We had a neat experience with Hunter a couple of weeks ago.  We were at Bass Pro Shop enjoying their Winter Wonderland festivities.  We were waiting in line for the carousel and a dad and his two little kids were waiting right behind us.  His little boy kept going to the fence and watching the animals going around and around.  He was very excited and his dad kept going over and telling him to wait it was almost time.  As they opened the gate to let us all in, the excited kids all rushed to find the specific animal that they had been hoping to ride.  Deke helped Emma and I helped Hudson as Hunter and Avery went to find a spot.  Making a quick glance around to check that they were with us I then focused in on Hudson and his first ride on a carousel.  I enjoyed his big eyes watching all the lights and his toothy grin from getting slightly dizzy.  Soon the ride was over and as I came out the gate the same man was standing there with his two kids waiting.    As we approached he introduced himself and then extended his hand.  "I just had to take a minute and tell you what a neat young man you have here. By the time I got my daughter all situated to ride all of the spots on the ride were taken and there was no room for my son.  I had put him on with my daughter which he was not happy about when your son walked over and said. 'he can have my spot to ride and it is close by so you can still watch your daughter too." "I was so impressed with his awareness and his kindness.  It just seems like there aren't many kids out there today that are so aware of other people."  He extended his hand to Hunter to shake it.  "Thank you" he told him then pulled a card from his wallet. " I am the owner of a firearm training company and would like to offer you a free firearm training class if it is okay with your parents ."  Hunter was beaming.  He told us to give him a call to set it up and then wished us a Merry Christmas.  My heart was on fire.  For the rest of the night I just kept watching my young "pre teen" son and thinking about what a great kid he is.  As we rode the carousel again later that night I snapped this picture of him and love his grin.  Oh kid.  It's not as if this was some giant heroic act, it was small and simple.  But it was so genuine and it was done on your own with no one watching, out of the goodness of your own heart.  It made me think about what other acts of kindness you perform quietly for those around you everyday.  It made me more aware of the many that you give to me and your siblings in our home.  I guess sometimes I forget how unique that is in our world today.  You are just so good.  Hunter, you have a good heart and I have always loved that about you.  You are aware of others and kind.  I hope that you will always for the rest of your life be watching around you to continue to help and serve.  Stay kind, be someone that spreads the good. I love you Hunterbug.    

No comments: