Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas in Whoville

Oooooookaaaaaaay. She is adorable. ADORABLE. Cute five year old with yards of red tulle safety pinned to her bum, little stockings and smiling up on a stage adorned with Christmas decor. This being her first performance ever and first dance recital. What a way to enjoy the Christmas spirit. Avery has been taking dance since September and last night they had their Christmas recital called Christmas in Whoville. It essentially is the Grinch who stole Christmas reenacted. All the girls were asked to wear "who hair" after looking it up online and finding that it was pretty much a combination of buns, braids and ponytails mostly things on top of the head. We went with this....Nothing too crazy but she still looked like a who and I could still put some cute curls on the bottom. When she saw on the paper with instructions for the dancers that they said to wear makeup she was so excited. So on went some mascara, blush and of course some of mom's lipstick. After I told her not to rub her eyes so she wouldn't take off her mascara she must have told me eighty times, "Look Mom, I am not touching my eyes, I didn't mess any up." She woke up super early yesterday for dress rehearsal on the "big stage" her and I headed over to practice. I wondered how she would handle everything but true to her nature she did awesome. No fear whatsoever. Went right to her orange heart taped on the floor to designate her spot and started dancing. Not just dancing but grinning so cute. Warm fuzzies all over. I couldn't stop smiling. She came down and the two of us sat together and watched some of the other dances talking about their costumes and all the things we like about the set. Pointing out our favorite hairstyles. It made me think about all the times ahead to look forward to having these mother-daughter moments. Made me feel really lucky. They didn't let us take the costumes home so at practice on Thursday I snapped a couple quick shots of her trying it on. Then on Saturday morning I put my camera in my purse "just in case" and what do you know people had their cellphones out taking pictures of their kids. So off went my flash and I snapped some of Ave so that I would have some pics in her costume. The stage... Her up on the stage working on her dance.....she did awesome..... That night she did a great job again and this time with Grandmas and Grandpas watching. Not to mention a very proud daddy who couldn't stop smiling and talking about how good she was doing and how adorable she looked. As Deke and I sat together watching her it was another one of those fun firsts as parents that we get to share together. I love that they are happening all the time and that we have a lifetime to continue to look forward to them. Way to go Avery girl!!!

1 comment:

CJ said...

Love all that tulle on her tushie! Would have loved to see that performance. Go Avery!