Sunday, August 10, 2014

Ave's baptism

We have been talking about Ave's baptism as a family for a few months now.  Gearing our FHE's towards being baptized and receiving the Holy Ghost.  I felt like we had really spent a lot of time preparing her. Ave was so excited and as we got up and got ready that morning I could tell she was also a little nervous.  We talked again about what was going to happen and she told me for the twentieth time that she hoped her ponytail didn't float up.  We headed to the church and took a couple of quick family shots.  

 Deke and Ave got into their white jumpsuits.  Avery could not stop grinning she was so excited.
 It was a stake baptism and there were several other kids being baptized that day but Ave was the only one from our ward and was the first to go in and be baptized.  As all of our family and friends filled the room I couldn't help but feel so much gratitude for the amount of support there for Avery and our family.  As the little kids knelt by the font to watch I couldn't help myself and got right down there with them so I could see her and Deke closely.  She grinned the entire time.  The entire time.  I hurried through the door to be there right as she was stepping up out of the water. I reached out to hug her and across the font I saw Deke standing there staring back at me.  I can't even explain the love and attraction I felt for him in that moment being able to hold the priesthood and baptize our daughter.  Ave and I went in and dried her off and started getting her back into her dress.  We talked about what feelings she had as she was being baptized.   "Do you remember what is going to happen next Avery?" I asked her.  "Yep, dad is going to put his hands on my head and give me the Holy Ghost."  We talked again for a minute about how special receiving the blessing of the Holy Ghost is, "Avery I want you to really sit still and think about what you feel when Dad confirms you and what feelings it gives you."  She thought about it for a minute and then took my hand and said she was ready to go.  Ally had been playing piano music while everyone filled out note cards with messages for Avery.  Soon Deke had her coming up to sit as all her uncles, grandpas, cousins and friends came up to place their hands on her head.  There were so many of them they had to make more of an oval than a circle and I could not help the tears that started to fall.  All those hands holding the power of the priesthood on my sweet daughter's head blessing her, it was overwhelming to me.  Deke gave a beautiful blessing that had me already emotional and afterward no one moved from the circle.  I waited a few seconds and none of the men were moving.  I looked between them and saw Deke kneel down next to Avery who had tears streaming down her face.  The spirit was so strong in that room and I don't think there was a dry eye in that circle.  Tears just kept coming and coming and they all stayed circled around her for a few minutes until she was able to stand up and hug everyone.  Once they started sitting down she hurried over to me and buried her head in my shoulder.  I could tell she was a little embarrassed that everyone was watching her.  As the primary president stood up to say a few words Avery whispered to me, "Mom, do sometimes people just cry when they are really happy?"  I looked at her as her tears again started to fall.  "Yep, people do cry when they are really happy" I reassured her.  "I just don't know why I just keep crying and crying but I just feel warm inside" she added.



































1 comment:

Kassi said...

I'm so sad I was so sick and we couldn't make it but you could feel how strong the spirit was just from your post! I'm sure it was a beautiful day and we were there in spirit!