Friday, August 15, 2014

Trip up north

We headed up for a couple of days to get out of the heat and go visit grandma and grandpa.  
When we got there Grandpa had the table covered with tons of necklaces.  Just one of the many neat things about my grandpa is that he has spent years finding and collecting pottery. He has some bowls and pieces that are completely in tact, but most of it is in small pieces that he has collected over time.  He and Grandma have smoothed out the edges and added chains to them to make them into jewelry.  They are beautiful.  
He told us that he wanted us to each pick some out to have.  Me and my girls were so excited and Emma quickly picked one out for herself.  She wore it everyday we were up there, and kept telling me she loved her "special necklace" that papa gave her.
The boys got to pick out key chains and Hunter was quick to find one that he really liked.
Mom and I spent a long time trying to decide. Just when I thought I had my choices grandpa would bring another new batch over to the table.  There were so many I had no idea and each one so unique and different.  We sat with him and looked them over and over and asked him about the meanings of the different symbols on some of them and which tribes they originated from.  It was really fun to just sit with him and hear stories about where and how he found some of them.  I finally decided on these two, I really like the striped one.  
Moments like this with him are so special to me.  I love special things like this that I will always have from him that are a part of who he is and his talents.
They still have a huge pile out in the yard of more pieces that have yet to be shaped.  It was fun to again take the kids out and let them look through all the different pieces.
Hudson played captain in the old boat in the yard,
spent a lot of time talking with the "he he's"....
Within minutes of getting there I heard the front screen door and Hunter was out on the hunt for creatures.  It was so nice to be outside, the kids couldn't get enough of being able to play and run and find things.  He found all sorts of cute little guys including this little grasshopper.
We spent all afternoon visiting, enjoying the weather and looking at pottery.  A storm came in and forced us all inside where we started playing games while Deke braved the rain to grill us some dinner in his really cool rain poncho :) :)

Hudson chased the cat who actually tolerated him and let him pet him.
The next morning we got up and made some mickey pancakes, then headed to the park for a water balloon fight and some sidewalk chalk drawing.
After all the park fun we drove through and grabbed up some vanilla cones from McDonald's.   I guess by the time you are #4 you get to have an ice cream cone by yourself in the carseat.
He was so happy, and made a giant mess.
Seconds after finishing he drifted off into a blissful sugar coma...
We came home and Deke gave quad rides to the kids.
Then I grabbed up my book and laid on the grass and read while I watched the kids blow bubbles for Hudson as he chased them around the yard.
Fresh air, cool breeze, just a small taste of vegetation.  I've gotta get out of AZ.  Sometimes you just have to slow life down for a little bit.

No comments: