Monday, October 22, 2012

My favorite Halloween spider.


I LOVE dry erase markers.  My kids love not only to write on the white board with them but even more fun to get to make murals all over the sliding glass doors heading outside.  It is always so neat to me to watch  my children's imagination and creativity develop through artwork.  When scribbles start to actually take the form of things that are recognizable.  When there are characteristics that are identifiable or found in the right places.  This is the stage Emma is in.  She can now stay in the lines in a coloring book and she loves to color.      Now when she draws something she wants to tell me what it is and some things are starting to actually look somewhat like what she says it is.  This morning in one of her Ariel dress ups she asked to color with markers and sat down at the window and went to work.  I told her to color me something for Halloween.  After a few minutes I saw her little drawing emerging and asked her what she had made for me.  "Mom, me made a spider for you."  She told me grinning.  "Its a pooky one Mom" she added. 


I looked down and smiled at what I saw.............


"Here is the eyes, and the mouth.  There is hims legs and legs and legs."  She told me as she pointed each part out.  It made me smile.  This is the first animal that she has ever drawn that actually could look like a little spider.  I love that she knew that spiders were for Halloween, that she told me he was a spooky one and that she did such a cute little rendition of one.  I love this stuff.





So I sat and watched my sweet toddler girl sit by the window and draw to her hearts content.  She asked me to draw with her and I asked what she wanted me to draw.  Her request was a cupcake and so I busted out a red marker and quickly drew a very lame cupcake with a cherry on top.  I told her to make a baby cupcake next to mine and she grabbed a blue marker and started drawing.  It is hard to see in the picture but if you look close to the left of my drawing you'll see it.  If you look closely you'll see how she tried to mimick the shape and draw the lines on the cupcake liner.  Can you see her little circle for her cherry and tiny line for her stem.  ADORABLE.  She did such a good job trying to recreate what I had drawn I was really impressed for a two year old.
I couldn't help but laugh as she stood up, adjusted her mermaid tail and continued on her way.  I love these little moments.  They really are the best.

No comments: