Monday, January 09, 2012

Jack and Jackie

I love things like this. Fun sibling things that make me smile. When Hunter was about eighteen months we were living up in Prescott. It was a lot cooler up there and so in order to go outside and play Hunter would need to get a jacket on. Pretty soon after trying to teach him to say jacket Hunter started calling his jacket---Jack. I would tell him to hurry and go get his jacket and in that little toddler sweet voice he would start calling "Jaaaccck, Jack, Jack" and wandering around the house looking for it. It was seriously so cute. We thought it was hilarious that he called his jacket Jack as if it was its name and even called for it. Here he is with Jack working on learning how to work the zipper himself. Isn't he so cute and chubby oh seeing these pictures makes me want to go back in time and just get to squeeze him and his cute little self. Now rewind forward a few years to the littlest chick currently in this house. Emma currently in that fun stage of life of word explosion is trying to say everthing. As fall started to bring some much needed cooler evenings we had to bring out the jackets. "Let's go get your jacket on" I would tell her and add, "Emma can you say jacket." The first couple of times she said nothing just smiled at me. Then one day as I began to zip her jacket up she pointed at it and said, "Jackie" and grinned. "Jacket" I told her "say Jacket". "Jackie!" "Jackie!" she said again pointing at it. What do you know from that point on it has been Jackie. "Emma let's go for a wagon ride outside go find your jacket" I told her. Then I heard a sweet little toddler voice that took me back and actually made me tear up because I am such a tenderheart. I know I know I have constant emotional moments with my children I am ridiculous : ) "Jaaaaaaackie, Jackie, Jackie" she called as she rummaged through her room to find it. A moment later coming out triumphant handing it to me "Jackie" she smiled as I knelt down to zip her up and for a moment I was back in Prescott looking into the eyes of my little boy with his chubby cheeks helping him with Jack. I can't even explain how many times I have had a moment with Emma and had it take me back to that same time of life with Hunter. I think it is their eyes, they remind me so much of each other that sometimes I feel like I am raising Hunter all over again. Soon I was back in the present with those same big blue eyes looking at me questiongly from my sweet daughter. Emma worried that I was sad seeing my tears quickly put her small arms around me for a hug and patted my back. I am so blessed. A couple days later at scouts I told Emma to get her stuff it was time to go and so she started walking around calling for Jackie. "Who is Jackie?" the lady who teaches with me asked. "Actually she is looking for her jacket, that is what she calls it" I said as we both laughed about it. Everytime now I hear her call for Jackie it makes me smile and reminds me of a cute little guy and his Jack.

No comments: