Wednesday, January 18, 2012

best friends these days.

It is so funny. It seems like there are days where these three are inseperable and then there are days where it feels like they are arch enemies :) Sometimes they tend to group up Hunter and Avery playing something that Em can't relate to. Ave and Emma playing something girly that Hunter doesn't really care to relate to. Then there is the majority of the time that they all play so well together. These playtimes are my favorite. To watch how they ignore the age differences, male/female dynamic and figure out ways to play that all three of them have fun. This past week it seems like they have been in major play mode. If they are headed outside I hear Hunter and Avery each putting on one of Emma's shoes so that she can go out with them. They spent a significant time out decorating the driveway with chalk murals. On Saturday while Deke and I worked in the garage they built a giant slide out of the pillows from the couch cushions. They spent at least thirty minutes sliding down it and trying to make it even bigger. On Monday they had some mystery going on and were writing down some sort of script. Hunter and Avery asked if they could use the video camera to tape their "new series" about strange mysteries. I told them once they had it all figured out they could use it. I can't wait to see how that all turns out. I guess even Emma has been assigned a role :) In the afternoon they are busy wrapped up in imaginative play, the evenings they are reading together, wrestling on the living room floor or playing tag through the house. Having the kind of fun I remember having with my sisters. The kind of fun where when it is time for prayer you keep letting little giggles sneak out even though you are trying so hard not to laugh after mom shoots you a stern look. I love to watch them like this. I love that they have so much fun together. As she headed outside the other day I asked Ave if they were still playing out back in their secret house. "Yep, Hunter and Emma are my best brother and baby."Last night we told the kids that prayer was going to be in the girls room. As we headed into the room we saw three lumps under Avery's covers and heard giggling. "Shhhhhh guys stop laughing Mom and Dad will know that we are under here" Hunter was telling them. A mini second of quiet then more laughing now including Hunter. "Shhhhh try not to laugh" he told them now trying to stiffle his own laughter. Deke got down on the floor quietly and crawled to the edge of the bed. He threw open the covers and growled to three sets of wide eyes and a pair of high pitched "girly" screams. After prayer they informed us that the three of them wanted to sleep together in Avery's bed tonight. Then came my laughter. Yeah as if that is going to happen. All three of you in one twin bed together with a toddler. I am all about this sibling closeness but I know better than that and actually want to sleep tonight. When we told them not tonight they were all bummed out. Hunter's shoulders sagged as he headed to his own room, Avery got emotional and Emma just looked at us. When we picked Em up to put her in her crib then she started crying at pointing at Ave's bed and jabbering a slew of something. "Not tonight" I again told her which then led to more tears and attempts to convince me. It was really sweet. I wanted to write about this so that someday when they are older and Avery is mad over something like Emma borrowing a shirt without asking I can remind them that they are best friends



1 comment:

Families are Forever said...

You have such cute kids.

Where was the shoe picture taken?