Thursday, June 09, 2011

Avery's accident.

Thank goodness it is not broken. Four clear x-ray shots and the assurance of a radiologist. She did however pull all the ligaments in the top of her foot and has been non weight bearing at all for almost a week. How did this happen? Ave has always been our "no fear" child. She is the first to try anything new, not afraid to try something that looks difficult or way beyond her age range. She will ride her bike with only one hand standing up, bounce right on the edge of the tramp and runs everywhere instead of walking. She is also one of the toughest little girls I know. When she is sick she never complains and when she is hurt she brushes it off and quickly gets back up. She is tough. Well we took the kids to Makutu's Island in Chandler while my mom was in town. Giant treehouse with climbing tunnels, slides, a zip line, an aquarium. The place is seriously so much fun. It is huge and inside where there is airconditioning. I love it because it has so many places to climb and play and it is so much fun for the imagination. Pictures don't do justice to how big and how fun it is. Anyways. We had been there for about two hours and the kids were having a blast. I even had a crazy moment and attaching Emma to me in a way that resembled a monkey carrying her baby hanging from her stomach, crawled up through the tunnels to the highest point I could get to and then let her sit up there with me and look and wave at the people down below. Poor kids waiting behind me to get past as I lugged myself through the tubes and then moved to the side to let them through. "Sheesh lady, really?" I was sure they were thinking until one of the little girls asked me if I knew where I was going and if I wanted to climb with them? How cute. Seriously thank you, yes I will follow you. Coming down was even crazier. I had just gotten out the top with Em and one of the guys that worked there came around the corner with Ave bawling. Avery had been here before and was able to do all the things that were in the treehouse on her own. There are employees at different parts of the place inside the tunnels and the zip line to help assist the kids. There is also someone standing inside the trunk of the giant tree by the "firefighter pole" to help kids down. This is where she got hurt. Now Avery has done the smaller firefighter pole a million times at the park so I am still not sure quite what happened. All I know from Hunter and the guy who was supposed to "help her" was that before she went to slide down he asked if she needed help. Anyone one who knows our little Miss Independent knows that she will try her hardest on her own first before she comes and asks for help. So of course thinking she could handle it, put her arms out and went to slide down. The problem was that she didn't get her feet around the pole and lock them, therefore pretty much just dropping down the pole which was much higher than the playground pole and dropping full weight on her foot which bent underneath her. Major ouch. Avery was bawling really hard and couldn't even stand on it. We put her on a bench with some ice and she laid and just cried as we checked it out. It wasn't swelling but she insisted that she couldn't stand at all. That is when we knew it must be really hurt. I had never seen her complain about anything like this before. We headed out about twenty minutes later knowing that she had twisted it wrong so Deke carried her to the car. We went down to the hospital to see Papa and she panicked when we went to try to put on her shoe. We loaded her into the stroller, everytime we tried to get her to stand she would start crying with pain and telling us she couldn't. Started really worrying she had broken it. Thought about the irony that I have told Deke several times that I worry about her braking a bone someday because she can sometimes be a little comacazy. We continued icing. By the time we got home it had been about four hours and her foot was like a giant marshmellow. She couldn't weight bear at all and was getting the chills. We gave her Tylenol and decided to take her to Urgent Care first thing in the morning. She fell right to sleep but had an up and down night and kept making these sad little wimpering noises while she slept. It was so sad. The next morning when my mom woke up she found Ave crawling across the floor of her bedroom telling mom she "needed to go potty" Mom watched the other kids while Deke and I took her down to Urgent Care. My heart was aching when she asked us "they have chairs there right?" because it hurt too much and she literally couldn't stand on it. They took x-rays and thank goodness it is not broken. However she did pull all the ligaments and the doctor told us that unfortunately that is often times more painful in healing than even a fracture. He told us that he would put her on crutches but she is just too little. So this is what she has been doing for the last week...
Watching movies, coloring, magna doodle, etch a sketch, books and any other couch friendly activities we can think of for her. The last couple of days she has been really frusterated about having to sit so still. She is a go getter and can't handle just sitting around. We have exercises to do with her foot everyday. When I asked her what she thought about her foot she gave me this expression: hilarious. Of course true to your nature Missy Moo joking around happily even when your down. Such a brave girl, she amazes me. Just try to slow it down every once in awhile kiddo, and let some of us help you along the way every now and again. Even though you are so capable you can pretty much do anything you put your mind to.

1 comment:

CJ said...

This story so much reminds me of the tenacity of another young lady I know.