Thursday, April 28, 2011

If you can't dye um might as well eat um




For family night we decided it was time to dye Easter eggs. It was nice and cool outside so I pulled a card table out back and we started when Deke got home. It did not surprise me to see that Bug grabbed an egg with his fingers ignoring the dippers and spoons readily available to him and plopped it down into the green dye. "I want this one to be slime green like a science experiment" he told me. Meanwhile Avery, dipper in hand was slowly lowering her chosen egg into the pink water. Emma sitting in her highchair sat looking around reaching out and pointing at the eggs and dye on the table. Knowing that she would be wishing to take part in the process I handed her a small assortment of plastic eggs for her to play with. I love dyeing Easter eggs. I love leaving an egg in a color for a long time in the vinegar water and letting it get really bright and vibrant. I love to watch what combinations the kids come up with. By the time Hunter was finished his fingers were dyed an assortment of every available color. He dyed them half one color and half another going horizontal and then vertical. He tried to make the green leave drip marks again like slime. Tried to make one egg turn purple and had each of her eggs go through quite a lengthy process. Avery continued to use the dipper sticking to solid colors with her eggs. Repeatedly telling Deke and I that "this was fun, she loved coloring the eggs." Emma now thoroughly aware that she was missing out on something had thrown all the plastic eggs overboard and wanting nothing to do with them. She kept pointing at the colored eggs and crying for them. I tried explaining to her that she could hold one when it was dry but lets face it she is only one so you can guess how that conversation went. Finally I handed her a plain egg and that kept her entertained for awhile until she clocked it on her tray and cracked it open. I gave her a quick second to investigate what had happened and then took it away, to her devastation. "Alright Em" I told her "I guess if you can't dye um, you might as well eat um." I removed the remaining shell and broke up the egg for her. She started chowing down happily. "I want to eat one" Ave piped up looking over her colored eggs. She was bummed when we told her she would have to wait until later after they were all dried.

No comments: