Friday, May 09, 2014

Thank you Mrs.Sarlo

Hunter's 4th grade teachers this year were AH-MAZE-ING!!!!!  He rotated every class and his Math teacher Mrs. Sarlo made his year so awesome. This is the first year that Hunter loved Math more than Science.  In fact the first year he has ever loved any subject more than Science.  Mrs. Sarlo would email us neat things about stuff that he would say or do in class and tell us often throughout the year how smart he was.  I was talking with her a month ago and she told me that one day Hunter asked her something and she didn't know the answer so she told him she would find out and let him know.  School had just ended and she walked over to Mr. Elliot's room (the science teacher) and was talking to him about Hunter's question and how she didn't know the answer.  "Hunter does that to me all the time!" Mr. Elliot told her and she said they both sat and laughed about his personality and how he keeps them on their toes with his questions.  "I wish that I could be a fly on the wall to watch what he does in his life" she told me.  "That kid is going to invent or do something that changes the world, I am telling you.  I have never seen a kid who thinks outside of the box like he does and he has a great sense of humor to boot."  I felt so much love for this teacher at that moment.  It is not easy to let my babies go out into the world and entrust a big part of their learning to someone I really barely even know.  In that moment I felt like she did know him and I had so much appreciation for the fact that all year she has worked hard to help keep him challenged and help him continue to grow.  All his teacher's have.   Random emails and comments throughout the school year from his teachers telling me what a good kid he is and coming up with ways to keep him challenged.  It has been a great year.  Their final project in math class was to draw a blueprint of a hotel with certain requirements, so many parallel lines, so many right angles, etc.etc.  Hunter was very excited and quickly finished his and turned it in to Mrs. Sarlo.  Knowing that the rest of the class would still be working on theirs for the rest of the week and Hunter would not have anything to do, she challenged him to build a 3D version of his hotel with the same requirements to bring in and show the class.  He was elated, our living room looked like this for two weeks as he tried to work on it in the evenings after school and extra stuff...
He built and "accessorized" the hotel all on his own and he did an awesome job.  Here is an overview of the bottom floor....
People swimming in the pool.  I LOVE that he put a guy swimming underneath to give a sense of depth.
The day spa...
The chef preparing food for the customers at the hotel restaurant.
The lobby with the concierge desk.  I love the little water jug and the coffee table.
People sitting out lounging by the pool.
The front doors....
pictures of the suites on the top floor...
 It turned out really good, he put a lot of creative details into it.  Deke and I brought it to the school the afternoon of his presentation.  The kids had all come in from lunch recess and Mrs. Sarlo turned to the class and said "Okay Hunter, go ahead."  I watched as our son walked over to an empty table and said  "Alright everyone, come on over and make a circle around me and we'll start with the first level" he said.  The whole class got up and did just that and then I sat back as he walked them through the whole thing, not just showing the rooms but stopping to point out all the necessary Math concepts that were included.  Asking other kids to find different things and answering questions as he went. At ten years old getting to have a teaching moment for the entire class and he was handling it maturely like he had always known how to do it.  It is not the first and undoubtedly will not be the last time Hunter leaves me in awe of his capabilities, especially his ability to lead.  Thank you Mrs. Sarlo for everything this year.  For understanding Hunter.  I agree with you, I can't wait to see what life continues to unfold for him.  Glad I get to have a front row seat :)

No comments: