Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Shooting on the Suns court

Once the basketball season had ended for Hunter, the coaches informed us that the boys would be getting a neat opportunity to attend a shooting skills clinic at US Airways center.  I got a babysitter for the little three and just Hunter and I loaded up and headed down there.  I was expecting tons of kids and was surprised when there was only about 35 kids all third and fourth graders that attended.  It was really crazy to walk through the dark halls that are usually bustling with people getting food and head into the completely empty auditorium that had only a handful of staff members in it.  It seemed so big and I have never been there when it was so quiet as the boys all looked around taking it in.     
 They first took them down to the Suns practice court which was really cool to see.  They had the boys do a couple of timed shooting drills.
They set the clock and the boys had to use all the balls from each rack to shoot three pointers from the sides and straight at the basket.  All of us parents were shouting and cheering and making a big deal over them.  Here's Hunter taking a few of his shots....
Next they took the boys out onto the actual court and demonstrated for them a skills course with shooting and dribbling elements that they would each complete while they were timed to see how fast they could finish the required tasks.  The best part though was that they each got the court to themselves while they did it.  
 When it was Hunter's turn he ran out there grinning from ear to ear.  He dribbled over to one of the instructors and as the guy reviewed the course Hunter just kept looking up and all around.  He took his turn and it was so cool to watch him out there playing on the Suns court by himself getting to shoot in this huge auditorium.
 Once the buzzer sounded he ran off the court to where I was waiting with the giant smile still on his face.  "That. was. awesome!!!" he said.  "It was so cool mom, it just felt like I was really playing in the NBA."
 We sat for awhile and watched some of the other boys and just talked.  Then we headed out to get something to eat together. Lately it seems like whenever I get alone time with Hunter I am constantly amazed at how much he is growing up.  Our conversations feel more like I am already talking to a teenager and it is really neat.  I love how we can just talk and Hunter will share with me whats going on at school or stuff about a girl he likes then the next second be more of a kid and be carrying on about a new LEGO creation.  He is still somewhere in between and watching the transition is neat but also hard.  It was such a great day with him, we both had a ton of fun.  As we headed to the car I noticed he wasn't behind me and saw him looking out at the city.  He looked big and my heart kind of winced like it does sometimes when I wish I could go back and hold him as a little guy again.  So much life ahead of you Hunter, it is going to have a lot of ups and downs but it will be good.  Really good :) :)

No comments: