Sunday, April 20, 2014

Silk dyed eggs




Again I must profess my love for Pinterest.  It motivates me to try different projects, recipes and crafts.  I saw some silk dyed Easter eggs on there one day.  They looked so cool and the steps to make them were super easy, so this year we made some....
We bought three ties from Savers (they have to be 100% silk), cut them open and take the liner out.  Then cut a square large enough to wrap around your egg and tie it with sturdy string. Make sure the right side of the fabric is facing the egg to give the brightest color.  Try to get the material as tight and smooth as you can without breaking the egg.  Then you have to take another piece of material (try to find a white or light colored) and wrap around the egg and tie it.  So the eggs will look like this.....
Put them in a pot of water with 1/4 vinegar and bring to a boil.  After 20 minutes remove them and set them in a colander or on a towel until they cool.  Once cooled you can untie and remove the fabric and tada!!!!! Aren't they fun :) :)
The kids thought it was awesome and I thought they turned out really pretty.  I would love to have a bowl of these sitting on my table for decoration at eastertime.  Can't wait to try it again next year with some even brighter colored ties.  I will start looking early to find some that are more springy :) It was fun to put the finished eggs on the ties and see how the colors came out.  Super easy and really neat looking.

1 comment:

Kassi said...

I love this idea! I think when Rondalynn is older I will have to try it!!