Monday, May 20, 2013

Pressure cooking

My cousins and I get together every three to four months and have a craft day or get together of some kind.  This month Grandma Hatch came down and we all met at Lisa's for a day of learning to pressure cook meat.  We each had to bring as many jars as we wanted to can and we could bring either ground turkey, chicken or beef chunks.  Lisa and Lonnie had given us a jar of chicken last year and it was really moist and had good flavor.  Instead of only about 9 oz like you get in a can of chicken, you get around a pound per jar and it is better chicken and cheaper than the about $3.69 you pay a can for chicken in store.  We eat mostly chicken so I decided to just can some chicken.  They started around 7 am and we all washed jars, cut chicken and got the jars filled and ready for the pressure cooker....
It was really neat to learn the process and get to visit while we all worked together.  By the afternoon as people started to head home we figured we had done 105 jars which was awesome. 
 All day as we worked the kids played so good at Lisa's enjoying all the toys from the daycare kids and having fun playing with cousin Zeke...
Cute little cousins....
GG and Papa with their great grands.....
It was great to learn something new and it got me thinking just how neat it must be to live somewhere that you can have a garden and can fresh vegetables for your pantry.  I think if I lived somewhere that I could do this I would definitely get into it.  So its a start, I hope to learn how to do veggies sometime this year and maybe even try my hand at some jam as well.

1 comment:

Erin said...

next time we get together will you teach me how to do this? Please?!