Monday, November 15, 2010

It's Fall....

I know I have said this before but Fall is my favorite time of year. I dream of living somewhere where the leaves are brilliant colors of red, orange and yellow. Where I have to put on a two button down long coat to wait for the kids to come home from school. Where we find pumpkins on a farm and drink warm apple cider sitting by a fireplace at night. I am sort of a romantic. Instead we live in Arizona where it is currently still 92* outside. The only fall leaves are my silk ones from Michael's, I am donning capri pants and flip flops, pumpkins are found at Fry's and carved over lemonade; inside the house; where it is air conditioned. When are we done with school? Anyways we still do whatever we can at the Burch household to feel like it is Fall whether nature realizes it is outside or not. We had the house all decorated which is always so much fun. We have planned Halloween and festive fall food all month long. Last week Hunter and I decided to build this "Pumpkin patch" and farm out of Lego's which was a blast. Lego's would definitely be on my top three list of toys that I love the most for my kids. It turned out so cute. I love the watering system that Hunter came up with and his "windmill" I had to make shift a roof for our barn out of paper because well Lego's just don't bend that way. We also had fun creating a spooky house using some of the elements from an Indiana Jones set including spear and cobwebs with spiders. Love my Lego time with bug. Avery had the first of our Halloween parties with her preschool party. They got to wear their costumes and she was so excited to show it off. It took quite a bit of time to make it but once Hunter decided to be Harry Potter thoughts of my girls as pink and brown owlets entered my head. This is the first time I have ever made costumes and it was easy just took time and was a really good learning experience for me. I wouldn't want to do it every year but it was perfect for this year. Here is a shot of her wings from the back. Avery looked so cute in it with her big brown eyes. Even though she had repeatedly asked and I had repeatedly told her she could not fly she still did not believe me. After the costume was done I told her to go look in the mirror in the bathroom. When I peeked quietly around the corner I saw her flapping her little heart out then dropping her head for a second before resuming her flapping again. Once she felt me staring at her she looked at me puzzled and said, "Mom, I can't fly." Once again I reminded her that no costume I could make would be able to make her fly. "Ohhhhhh, I wanted to fly around with my candy at trick or treating" she said disappointed. "Sorry Ave" I said. Then quickly moved on to pointing out all the fun things about her costume. She loved the pink beak on her mask. Every time we ask her what the owl says she reaches up with three fingers, makes the beak move and says, "Whoooo, Whooooo" it is really cute. She was also momentarily distraught about the fact that I hadn't made her a tail with feathers. She soon recovered however and told me "maybe next year I can have a tail, right mom?" This is a favorite saying of hers that we laugh about all the time. Example: Mom: "No Avery you can't have any candy tonight." Ave: "Maybe next year I can just have one, right Mom?" Mom: "This week preschool is going to be at Mary's house." Ave: "Next year we'll go to Sophia's house again, right Mom?" Forget tomorrow or next week this kid thinks in terms of years and it is hilarious. Lastly to kick off fall this year at our house we went to pick out pumpkins. Oh how I missed the years up in Dewey at the patch as we headed to Basha's where they were on sale two for $3. However once we got there all of us dug through the piles looking for the perfect ones. Daddy loves the tall wide ones, Mom loves the short, fat, round ones and Hunter and Avery want to take them all home. Emma just wants to taste whatever that thing is. We picked out her first pumpkin and let her hold it and check it out. I love this picture of her touching it and playing with her chubby little fingers and tiny toes. Then I took some fun shots of the three of them which without the help of Daddy making silly noises and faces to keep attention and produce smiles can be challenging. We are so blessed to have them. They are each so special to us and bring such different wonderful things to our family. We are having so much fun raising them and watching them experience life. I love this season.

No comments: