Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Code red

 Ariel, Ariel, Ariel, Ariel.  She's everywhere.  On pillows and panties, toothbrushes, pjs, purses, dress ups, books, movies, squinkies etc. etc.  Emma has always loved Ariel.   Nothing of course rivals the actual Ariel doll that is practically attached to her hip though.  We always joke that she gets "special clearance" that no other toy or stuffed animal has ever gotten.  That doll goes everywhere with us, big trips like going to Hawaii to everyday errands.  Even if we are just running to the bank or to get groceries Emma will head out to the car with Ariel in her arms.  Emma almost always knows exactly where she is.  When she doesn't however it can turn into a sort of panic for Em.  So it was the other night...
   We had had a very busy day and had been running errands everywhere and at some point during the day Emma started complaining about not being able to find Ariel.  I told her to stop fussing and that we would have to find her later we needed to get some stuff done.  We ran all day and once we were home she began searching for her.  I got busy with dinner and she didn't say anything else about it so I assumed she had found her.  That night I tucked Emma into bed and headed in to kiss the boys when I heard her crying and calling me.  When I went in she was sitting on her bed tears running down her cheeks.  "Mom, I still can't find her. I can't find Ariel, she's not anywhere." Avery sat up in her bed "Mom I am pretty sure that Emma left Ariel today at Fry's when we went to get groceries because when we got back in the car I didn't see her anymore."  All I could think was oh no really? I tried to get Emma to sleep and she just laid and cried. not throwing a fit just a sad quiet cry of sheer concern.  Sure that she was not far I began looking.  I went into the bathroom where Deke was showering, "Babe, we have a code red" I said to him as he looked at me questioningly.  "Ariel is missing and has been actually all day.  I can't find her and Emma is really worried." Five minutes later Deke came out flashlight in hand ready to join the search.  We searched and searched and could not find her anywhere.  Emma was starting to panic that she had left her at Fry's and that someone had taken her. I was pretty sure that was exactly where we left her.  We searched for an hour and finally realized there was a chance that she might be gone.  We told Emma we would continue to search everywhere in the morning.  "I just love her" she continued to cry.  I felt so bad.  As we headed in to go to bed I noticed my phone charger wasn't by the nightstand. Figuring it had fallen under the bed I reached under my bed and saw a shiny green tail.  Ariel was underneath our bed right in the middle.  Deke and I were so excited to get her to Em.  When we walked in and told her we had found her, she grinned the biggest grin and then grabbed her up and started squeezing her, she looked so relieved.  Then she laid down, exhausted from all the emotion, pulled Ariel up close to her cheek and within five minutes Deke and I sat there watching her sleep.  Oh Miss Emma.  You are the sweetest.

No comments: