Thursday, July 05, 2012

Princess wands and fire wings


 Have I mentioned how much I hate the AZ summer and how I am counting down the months until we get out of here?  Anyways with the stifling heat and a crazy busy day we had probably the most low key 4th of July we have had since we got married.  No matching red, white and blue outfits for the kids and giant bows for the girls.  No fun homemade patriotic goodies with a dad with a busted ankle (post about that soon) and a mom not quite in her groove these days we settled for simple.  We cooked up some chicken and baked beans and had watermelon and apple pie.  We rented a movie we could watch as a family and laid across the living room floor with pillows underneath the air conditioning.

 Then once it was dark enough we took our own mini supply of sparklers and mini fireworks out front with lawn chairs and let the kids light up the street and make some noise.  Emma as expected did not like the bigger fireworks or any that made noise, she has been super sensitive to loud noises since she was tiny.  So it didn't surprise me when even after all my positive remarks of excitement and reassuring that when the first firework was lit she ran for the hills(or garage rather) hands covering her ears.

After she warmed up to the idea a little she at least would sit in my lap and smile holding her hands on her ears to cover the sound.  Deke lit a sparkler and showed the kids how to run with them and twirl them in the air.
 After watching the older siblings Emma actually let dad help her try it and giggled when it lit up.  She actually really liked it and I was happy to see her give it a try.




 I did have to smile about my super girly girl when the only way Deke and I convinced her to try it was to ask her if she wanted to hold her very own Princess wand with sparkles.  One mention of this and instantly eyebrows were up and she was telling Deke, "I try it dad, I try Princess sparkles."  Oh my, nice wand waving Princess Emma.




 Hunter wanted to know why we could just line up all the fireworks on the ground and have Deke run and light them all at once.  A really fun idea to watch for the two minutes they went off and then it would be three bummed out kids wondering why the show was so short lived.











Avery was in heaven and we kept having to remind our sweet little pyro to be careful because she could still get burned.  When she saw this picture she was elated, "Mom!! That is sweet!! I look like a giant bird with magic fire wings!"  Actually now that you mention it kiddo you do look like a bird with fire wings and I love this picture because it is just another moment captured of you playing the way you play.  Completely free with all the energy inside of you.  I wish I could be in your head in moments like this.





 Thank goodness we had bought quite a few fireworks and our own little homemade show was sufficient for these three spectators and their tired mommy.  Happy 4th of July everybody!!!





No comments: