Saturday, June 05, 2010

Some things from childhood...

It is always fun to do things with your kids that you did when you were a kid. It seems like this week there has been a lot of little things like that that we have been doing around the house. The other Saturday we had each person pick an activity to do as a family. Avery wanted everyone to play "Hullabaloo" a game that she loves, Hunter had everyone play LEGO's, Deke wanted to make cookies and I wanted to play Don't Eat Pete! a game that we used
to play when we were little. This is the game board: Then you take M&M's and put one on each square. Someone goes out of the room and the other players decide which M&M is going to be "Pete" When the person comes back in they start choosing M&M's one by one and eating them. If they pick up the one designated as Pete everyone yells, "Don't eat Pete." It is a really simple game but it is fun because hey you get to eat chocolate and I'll admit it it is kind of a small thrill as you are trying to avoid getting Pete. I always get a little scared as I am eating because everytime they all yell I jump a little bit. When we introduced this game to the kids they loved it. I remember loving it as a kid and love watching them enjoy it toThen the other day Hunter and I were discussing what to eat for breakfast and I decided to make some eggs. What goes better with eggs than toast I thought so of course I was going to do toast on the side. Then I remember cinnamon/sugar toast. Okay come on admit it if you have ever tried it it is so yummy. Not something you want to have very often but fun to have every once in awhile. Hunter loved helping me mix the cinnamon and sugar and trying to get it just right. I had memories of Kimbre and I piling on the butter to make sure that we could get a ton of the sugar mixture on the bread. Kimbre and I loved trying to make our own concoctions. We loved to make our own little pizza's on english muffins and make our own personally seasoned pizza sauce. When we were really little we used to take cheeze-its and hold them next to the light bulbs in the lamps because we thought that we were making those brown spots on them. Normal kids attempt lemonade stands but not Kimbre and I, oh no we had pickle stands. My mom would get the jar of giant pickles from Sam's Club and we would try to sell them wrapped in a napkin. When we would eat them we would pre salt each bite. There are a milion more examples of interesting food attempts it is a miracle that we are not obsese as much time as we spent experimenting with food. Also mom how about a little supervision on the kids attempting to cook crackers by heating source of light bulb? :) :) As if my kids aren't probably currently attempting their own interesting feats in the "fort" they are making under the kitchen table as I sit here and blog. Kimbre, I love you sis :) Finally something that doesn't involve food or sugar. With the recent end of school for Bug we started planning out activities during the week to do with the kids. I went online and signed the kids up for the summer reading program at the library. It is really fun because they both have to read five books to get a prize and they can earn four prizes and then at the end they get a new book. The prizes actually look decent to not just something that will break in five seconds. Now that we have started they get out their little charts everyday and want to fill them out. Hunter practically read all five books in an hour after getting them and was disappointed when I told him that he would have to wait until Mon. when we went to the library again to get his prize. I loved reading as a kid and still love reading. I always loved doing the reading program in the summer time and again it is a blast to watch my kids love to do it as well. I often wonder what things do Deke and I do with the kids that are new Burch traditions that our kids will love so much that they eventually take them into their homes someday. It will be fun to watch and see.












1 comment:

Erin said...

Mekell! I used to play Don't Eat Pete ALL THE TIME! when I was little. I've already shown my kids and they love it! We should totally play it next time we get together. This post made me laugh. I remember Jeigh and I used to sneak mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, golden grahams, and candle into our room and make mini smores all night. We used to also make concoctions for our tea set, and the only rule was you HAD to drink it. Some of it was really good (like when I mixed sprinkles with milk and chocolate sauce.) Some were nasty (like mustard, ketchup and chocolate milk) but it was all fun.
I knew there was a reason we were friends! Just another commonality between us. Love ya, girl!