Friday, January 31, 2014

To the mailbox

Everyday as soon as Hunter gets home from school Hudson starts following him around the house waiting for Hunter to ask him.  Hunter will drop off his backpack, get a drink or a quick snack and then say "Hudson, do you want to go for a stroller ride?"  Hudson will start clapping and book it as fast as he can to the back door and try reaching for the doorknob.  He knows what's coming.  Hunter picks him up and carries him outside, puts him in the stroller and off they go.  Hunter will stroll him over to the mailboxes and get the mail, then they go through the park and usually stop to swing for a minute before walking back around the block towards home.  
Hudson says bye and waves at me, then kicks his legs and starts pointing as if to tell Hunter "alright already, lets get going!"  As they head on their way I can hear Hunter talking to him, showing him things and asking if he sees any birds anywhere.  I sit on the porch and wait for them.
When I see them come around the corner headed down the street towards home it always hits me what a great big brother Hunter is.  Not every ten year old boy would willingly take his baby brother out for a stroll everyday.  The thing is that I think that he enjoys it just as much as Hudson does, having that time together.  I am so glad that they have each other and despite their age gap they have a special bond with each other, one that I will continue to love watching.

No comments: