Sunday, January 05, 2014

Sunbeam

I can honestly say that I was surprised when Emma went in to nursery how easily she adjusted.  The first couple of times she cried when I left and within minutes settled in.  After that she was fine and loved going to nursery.  She has been so excited to go into the "big primary room" like Hunter and Avery.  She seems so big to me lately.  She is still only three but she definitely feels more like a four year old now.  Her and I talked about all the fun things to look forward to in becoming a Sunbeam, and as they took her in for her first "trial run" Hudson and I watched from the window. They brought them in just for singing time and for the first couple of songs she just sat and looked around wide eyed.  Pretty soon she was joining in on the parts of the songs that she knew.  Sitting in the primary room she looked small again to me. 
 Soon the day came, her first day as a Sunbeam.  As soon as the closing prayer was over in sacrament she was jumping up from her chair trying to hurry me out into the hall.  As we reached the room it was noisy and full of parents all helping kids find their new classes.  She grabbed my hand and leaned in close to me.  We walked up to the front row to check the class lists and find her name.  I read the names of the other people in her class to her as a smile broke out on her face hearing that her friends Kate and Ellie were in her class as well.  She was totally quiet and I could see the nerves kicking in.  "Em where do you want to sit" I asked her as she quickly pointed to the seat right next to the teacher's chair.  She sat down and as I stood up she started to grab onto me about to cry when her teacher walked up and started talking to her.  She was okay now but asked to have a hug.  After she squeezed me tight I looked at her and told her to have fun I would see her soon.  She shook her head and smiled at me and I could tell she was going to do fine.  She watched me walk out of the room until she couldn't see me anymore.
 There were a lot of other anxious Sunbeam moms trying to all sneak a peek at their little ones and so I only got a quick glance at her and then headed to class.  When I went to pick her up in her classroom at the end of church she was chowing down on a graham cracker and waving a yellow paper in my face talking a mile a minute.  Sister Hiatt said that she did great and didn't get upset at all.  In singing time they welcomed all the new Sunbeams to primary and asked them to stand up so everyone could see them.  "I don't want to do that" Emma had leaned over to her teacher and whispered quietly. Hearing this made me smile because of course she would say that. That's my Emma.  She will listen, be well behaved, sing and have fun but doesn't want to be called on and definitely doesn't want to be the center of attention.  Unlike at home Em does not ever want all eyes on her in public and is super shy with people she doesn't know.
 As we drove home she talked a million miles a minute " I love primary!! I love my teacher!!" and continued telling us all about her first day.  She had drawn a picture of her family that was so cute even though you can't see Hudson her hand is covering him :) :)  Oh Miss E you are the sweetest Sunbeam that's for sure.

No comments: