Wednesday, November 06, 2013

A snail AND a penguin

  Step 1- Admitting you have a problem.  I am at this step.  I am ridiculous and I know it.  Not just about this but lots of things when it comes to this baby.  I just am not handling the thought that this could be my last baby.  I am dealing with it on different levels all of the time.  Constantly thinking about "could this be my last...."  This time the end of that sentence is, baby costume. Come on you know it, there is just nothing cuter than babies dressed up for Halloween.  What if this is the last time I get to dress one of my babies up for Halloween???  I had wanted to make Hudson a snail since it is unique and he is still crawling so I thought it would be really cute.  I couldn't find one online so I started making one for him.  Then when we were searching for the other kids costumes we saw this penguin costume 40% off at Kmart.  I love penguins and it was on sale and it fit him perfectly.  As I tried it on him Deke shook his head laughing at how cute he was and then agreed we should get it.  "So then he can be a penguin this year" he said.
"Well....I don't know, it is really cute but I was really thinking of him being a snail" I replied and then my family sat with me in the aisle for the next ten minutes as I contemplated for way too long what I should do about this dilemma.  Finally deciding that since I didn't know how the snail would turn out, I should buy the penguin and then could take it back up to the day before Halloween if I didn't use it.  
He looked so cute in it and I loved that the little sleeves came to a point and hung over his hands just like flippers.  They kept his hands nice and warm and looked so cute when he waved his arms at something.  Plus the feet cracked me up and the fact that the belly was stuffed so that he looked plump :) Since I am crazy which we have established, even though I already had an adorable costume hanging in the closet I got to work making a little snail costume.
Honestly it was very homemade and I could have done a way better job with more time but under the constraints I threw something together with a round throw pillow, some styrofoam balls and colored felt.  
 I had never seen a baby dressed up like a snail before and when he crawled in it it was so cute.
 The eyeballs cracked me up because they were giant and blue just like his own and so big sticking up on his head.  It just made me smile.  Once I had finished it I realized I couldn't choose, I liked them both and wanted him to get to use each of them.  So for the Trunk of Treat he showed up as Turbo and on Halloween night he was a penguin.  It was fun to get to see him in both costumes. When I told Deke my master paln he just smiled, hugged me and then told me that I did a good job.  I love that he gets me.  I am a baby person.  I absolutely LOVE having a baby in my house.  I am having a hard time. A hard time.  So, guess what.  Two costumes it is :) :)

No comments: