Saturday, September 03, 2011

A Wolf

After getting back from Hawaii another exciting thing we had to look forward to was Hunter starting scouts. Not only was Hunter starting scouts but I had recently been called to be the Wolf Den Leader which is Hunter's group along with another mom in the ward. So we were both starting scouts. Having all sisters I admit this is all very new to me. Hunter was elated when he found out I was going to be his leader. He had looked up the BSA website on the computer and saw a link for a scouting video. We clicked on it and watched the motivational video collage of pictures of scouts doing different achievements and outdoor activities. Hunter was completely wide eyed. After it was over he looked at me and said, "Mom, can you believe you are going to teach me things like knife throwing, archery, rock climbing, camping...." he waited for my response. That was when I turned wide eyed to Deke who started laughing and reassured us that we wouldn't be doing any of those things yet more like knot tying and learning about the flag. When I called my sisters they all were excited. I hoped I would be able to not let Hunter down and be good at the "boy stuff." The first den meeting I taught, the boys earned their Marble belt loop. We learned the rules and played three different versions of marbles. Most of the boys had never played marbles, some had never even seen one. It was neat to teach them how to "knuckle down" and play each of the games. They really enjoyed it. We have a great group of boys. They can definitely get rowdy sometimes but they are all really good kids. It is so nice because the primary provides a nursery for the other little kids so Ave and Em can go play while I spend that time just with Hunter. Then we had our first pack meeting. We went as a family and it was so much fun. They started off with the flag ceremony. Then it was on to awards for the boys and then some team games. The Wolves played against the Bears, or rather the Bulls played against the Beef Jerkies once they chose names. Beef Jerkies, love it. The first game the boys had to put pantyhose on their head with a ball inside one toe and try without hands to swing the ball and knock over the water bottles. It was nothing short of hilarious to watch. We were all laughing so hard. Next they had to try to keep two balloons from touching the ground for three minutes...Then blow up a balloon and use the air to push plastic cups off of a table. Hunter had such a hard time with this one because he couldn't get his balloon to blow up. He was practically turning purple blowing so hard and it just wouldn't go. We kept yelling for him to stretch it out and he would try and blow again and turn the color of a beet. Again hilarious. Wrapping each other up with an entire roll of t.p...... and then shooting a can off of a t-ball stand with a rubber band. Hunter knelt down and aimed and shot the can off without a problem. That a boy :)It was so much fun. The boys all loved it. We have scout day camp coming up in about a month and I can only imagine how fun that will be for all of them. Watching Hunter I couldn't help but think how tall he is getting and how handsome he looked in his scout stuff. Where did my little guy go? I am so happy to be in scouts with him. Really other than being a primary teacher this will be one of the few opportunities I will have to be his leader. That one hour a week just him and I working on his scout stuff what a neat opportunity for the two of us. It has been really great. This "boy stuff" is pretty much a blast. :)


No comments: