Saturday, September 03, 2011

"Bye, Mom!"

The kids have both been so excited for school to start this year. I can't believe that Avery is starting Kindergarten. Three days before school started Ave had been down flat in bed with temperatures between 102-103* and I was really worried that she wasn't going to make her first day of school. She was so sick she was sleeping the vast majority of the day and since the infection was viral all we could do was keep her comfy and let it run its course. Thank goodness by "Meet the Teacher" night she was feeling almost completely better so we were able to take her to meet her teacher and see her classroom. She has a very fun classroom filled with lots of bright colors and lots of different activities. She found her desk and then started checking out her room. Of course the kitchen area was first on her list to explore. She was so excited about the home living center with all the play food and a play mailbox. She hurried over to check it all out listing to us all the things in the kitchen and how this is where she was going to play everyday at school during center time. Her teacher is really nice and I think that this is going to be a great year for Avery. Hunter's teacher loops from first grade to second grade every other year so his whole class moved up to second grade together with Mrs. Painter. She is an awesome teacher. Hunter was intrigued to see that this year they will focus a lot on geography and history. In history they are starting with Ancient China and working their way through the Revolution to the westward movement of the pioneers. It should be really fun. Of course his main concern was about the Science curriculum for the year. Last year the millipedes were so fun for him. This year they are first doing earthworms and soil studies. Then in the spring they are getting caterpillars just out of their eggs and watching them transform into butterflies. He is so excited already.
The morning of the first day of school Avery and Hunter were both up at six o' clock, dressed and ready to go. Avery checking all the contents of her backpack as if to not forget anything, Hunter giving her instructions as to what to expect on her first day. Things like, "Ave if anyone bothers you at recess, go tell the playground aide" and other knowledge about the workings of school. From the time they woke up through breakfast and even in the car driving there Hunter continued to impart his "wisdom". "Hunter okay I know" Avery finally told him as I sat in the front seat cracking up at their dialogue. Such typical behavior for the two of them, Hunter wanting to be in charge and tell her what to do, worried and concerned about her and Avery thinking she always knows how to do it herself and doesn't need any help. Before we loaded in the car I took a couple of quick pics. She looked so adorable in her little plaid dress and brown mary janes. Super excited about her Princess backpack and Hello Kitty lunchbox. They both looked so cute for their first day. I love this picture of them....Heading off to school, my view from my mirror.....We walked up to the drop off spot and Hunter's class had already walked inside. Dr. Coleman walked by and said hello to Hunter and told him that he could walk with her, she was headed that way. Absolutely beaming Hunter without hugging me said, "Bye, Mom!" and headed off with the principal. First of all elated that he got to walk with her to his classroom, secondly obviously feeling like this was all old news as he left without a hug. Wondering what had just happened I walked Ave over to her class line. One of her two favorite girlfriends Sophia is in her class which she is super excited about. Here they are lining up to go into the classroom. As I stood there watching her in line I felt so happy about all the fun things in store for her yet couldn't help but think how quickly this time had come. As they headed inside the building she turned back and waved smiling huge. Excited, ready, not worried a bit about being without me just as I expected. I snapped off pictures and smiled back feeling happy for her and feeling proud of myself that I was handling it so well. Em and I headed to the office to fill out a couple of forms and then headed for the car. The once completely full parking lot was empty besides a few cars and it was quiet as we got loaded in. I started heading for WalMart and turned on the radio. A slow song came on and as I sat at the light the image of the first time I ever saw Avery came into my head. Smiling I remembered how tiny she was and holding her for the first time. Instantly like a flood images from her life kept flashing through my head. The first time she crawled, walked, went to nursery. Her looking like an angel in white the day she was sealed. A petite one year old with Moo clutched in her arms, giant brown eyes and big ole noodle. Two with her first set of "ponies" running to show Daddy. Trying on every different shoe in the aisle, taking her hands and squishing my cheeks together for a giant kiss. Then I realized tears had been streaming down my face. All of a sudden I couldn't keep it in and I sobbed. Avery was tiny for so long has been my little right hand girl. It was suddenly so quiet without her. Hunter hadn't even hugged me and she waved once and then went on her way, didn't they even miss me? Since when is "Bye, Mom" and then heading off considering sufficient? I want to teach my kids to be confident and independent right? Knowing how easily she went into the building felt like she didn't need me anymore and I again thought about how quickly this time had come. I love her so much. Feeling awfully lonely I looked back and saw this little Miss... Then I had to smile and realize that this is a new phase to enjoy with Avery being in school and now is a special time to enjoy during the days with Em. I am so thankful to have her. Every year when the kids have their birthdays and then start school I go through this emotional roller coaster of watching them get bigger. I took a couple other shots of them during their first week. Ave with the Sparkle Toes: Walking to Ave's first bus ride. She loves riding the bus with Hunter. When it was time to pick them up from school I hurried to the parent pick up so excited to hear about their days. Missing them so much. Out the door they came Hunter holding her hand guiding her through the masses of children trying to locate their parents. Giant hugs from both of them instantly. "Mom can you tie my shoe" Ave asked, practically shoving her foot in my face "Yeah and Mom I have a paper I need you to help me with" added Hunter putting it in my already occupied hands. Alright, I thought smiling I'm good again, they still need me :)









1 comment:

CJ said...

I cried when I read this. Avery is so much like someone else I know. Good job mom.