Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Christmas spirit

Well it is finally starting to feel like Christmas to me after my encounters yesterday as I was out and about. Deke and I went over to AJ's (really fancy, fun grocery store) for lunch after work and we were sitting inside eating lunch and it was freezing in there. I kept rubbing my arms and shivering because I was so cold my fingers were going numb. One of the ladies who worked there walked over to me, put a coat around my shoulders and said, "Here sweetie you can use this just bring it up to the register before you leave. Poor thing look at you, you are just freezing." Then she smiled at me and walked away. I know it sounds silly but I was so touched that someone would be so aware of another person and what a kind gesture it was. After finishing our lunch we meandered over to the bakery to check out some dessert and a sweet old couple were there getting some bagels. This sweet lady struck up a conversation with us and we just visited and then she patted me on the back and gave me a little squeeze and said, "Merry Christmas," and walked away. I began to wonder if I had stepped into some sort of magical grocery store from the movies and was sure that it would go away once we left the store. It continued all day long, random people striking up conversations with us then wishing us "Merry Christmas." Later that night we went to cost cutters to get haircuts and there was a mom with her two older daughters and a little boy waiting in the waiting area with us. Once again they started visiting with us, the boys started playing and one of her older girls started playing with Avery. We started talking and laughing and when it was time to go the woman told us what a sweet family we had and once again wished us a happy holiday. Today we live in a world where people just don't interact with people they don't know like they used to. If you don't know someone you don't ask to hold their baby, people just stand quietly in line right next to each other and mind their own business. I know it sounds silly but when that woman placed her coat on my shoulders and when the other woman gave me a little squeeze I got warm fuzzies all over. Touch is such a powerful thing and being aware of others around you is so important. I run into people all through the year that are kind and courteous, I am definitely one to talk to anyone around and love to socialize with people I don't know. However, there was just a special spirit about these people that made you feel like you had known them forever and it made me wish that we could interact with each other that like all the time or at least more often. It has definitely brought the spirit of Christmas to my heart very strong and I am trying to now pass it on and be that person to people around me. Their is just nothing like connecting with another person even in a very simple way, it for a moment gives us that feeling of unity.

1 comment:

Hailey said...

Wow, what a neat day you had! That is so nice that everyone you ran into was full of kindness and love. It gives you hope. You are so good at making people feel appreciated and comfortable as well. I loved all those visits we had at your house. Everytime I drive over that way I think of you and your family. Thanks for being such a special friend. :)