Tuesday, June 10, 2014

"It's probably because we were best friends in heaven"

The other day the girls were talking about how many babies they wanted to have someday and were asking me when I was little how many babies had I wanted.  We started talking about each of them and when Deke and I found out we were pregnant.  When we got to Emma I told Avery that she had known we were having a baby before we did.  One night we were out to eat with dad, lisa and my sisters at Paradise Bakery.  Right in the middle of dinner Avery piped up, "My mom has a baby in her belly, my baby Emma."  Everyone stopped eating and looked at me waiting.  "No I don't.  I'm not pregnant" I insisted as they all refused to believe me and tried to get me to admit it.  We got in the car to leave and Deke and I explained to Avery that mom wasn't having a baby but that hopefully soon we would be (we had gone through three miscarriages and two years of trying to get pregnant).  The next day Avery went to preschool and when we went to pick her up Lisa pulled me aside.  "Avery told me your big news but I won't tell anyone" she said grinning.  "I don't have any big news, I'm not pregnant" I again insisted.  We got in the car and I again told Avery that we were not having a baby.  By Friday Lisa said that Avery had told every kid at school and all the parents at pick up that her mom had a baby in her belly, her baby Emma.  Deke and I continued to try to get through to her and she refused accept it.  After two more weeks Avery just kept insisting and finally one night Deke said, "maybe we should take a test just to make sure."  I was frustrated at this point because it had been quite a rollercoaster trying to get pregnant and I was feeling pretty down.  "I don't need to take a test because I know I'm not pregnant" I told him.  I was not feeling any pregnancy symptoms whatsoever.  The next day, determined to have definite proof to give my three year old I bought a test.  With the other kids I remember feeling nervous as I walked in to check when the time was up.  I was sitting at the computer and said, "hey its time will you check it? I don't even need to because I know that I'm not.  I don't have any symptoms at all, I would know if I was."  Deke came walking into the room and held out the stick, "Oh ya..." he said and the word PREGNANT stood out on the screen like neon lights.  
I had a baby in my belly :) :)  Avery was beyond thrilled.  She insisted that our baby was a girl as I reminded her that mommy had already had three boys and it would probably be another brother.  A couple days before Thanksgiving we found out that we were having a little girl.  When she rolled over and I saw between her legs I knew and then the tech announced it.  Deke and I cried we were so excited.  "Did you hear that Avery!!Our baby is a girl, you are getting a sister."  She looked up at us and completely matter of a fact said, "Yep, my baby Emma."  Reminding us that she had already known this information.  When Emma was born we had actually decided to name her Addison and had put it on the birth certificate.  When we brought her home Avery would only call her Emma and would not call her Addison.  Five days later we hurried to the hospital to change it on the application before they placed it on the actual certificate.  Avery knew, she had always known.  As I was telling this story both my girls sat grinning ear to ear.  "Mom how did I know that?" Ave asked me.  "I'm not sure Avery but you did."  The girls giggled. "It's probably because we were best friends in heaven" Ave said.  "Yep we are best friends" said Em and they hugged and ran off to play.  I was dying.  They are best friends.  They have so much fun together and love each other so much.  Avery is so protective over her and always includes her with everything she does even with all of her friends.  Emma thinks Avery can do anything and loves to have her teach her things.  They are so sweet together and watching their sisterhood makes me so happy.  I am so grateful that they have each other, they have a very special connection.  Best friends in heaven... absolutely, and as far as this mom is concerned they are definitely angels.


1 comment:

Josh and Claudia Tieman said...

I love this! I've heard the story many times before but it always amazes me. What a pair of cuties! And I agree such little angels! Love you Burch family!