Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Waimea falls-day eight

Usually when you go on vacation it goes way too fast. This trip definitely went fast but it actually felt perfect with all the different things we were able to fit in. Having another week would have been ideal. Tuesday morning we headed over to meet Dad and Lisa at Waimea falls. Once again I was amazed at the vegetation all around it is so beautiful. I love the island feel, life just slows down here. I love all the shrimp farms and the fresh fruit stands. I LOVE the sounds of the ocean to fall asleep to at night and wake up to in the morning. I love Hawaii, it is beautiful here. Here we are standing next to just one of many ginormous trees. You enter the Waimea Valley where there are different cultural activities and things to see along the trail. The hike is a mile and a half up to the falls and it is very lush and beautiful. I think that all of us had fun standing underneath and next to such large trees. The kids were pretty enamoured by it all. Before we reached the falls we stopped to learn about Hawaiian music and instruments. We each had a turn learning to play the different instruments. Hunter started out learning to make music with a conch shell. Ridiculously enough not quite as easy as it may look.Deke on the coconuts...Mom trying to learn, I love this shot of the sweet lady who helped us demonstrating how I should move my lips. We then attempted to play all together. Pretty fun.Then it was time for a lesson in how to hula. Once we learned how to "move our hips" then we were taught actual dance steps and with the help of our trusty instructor learned a whole routine and then performed it for passing bystanders heading for the falls. I am sure it was entertaining. It was really fuThen we had the opportunity to watch our "teacher" perform a hula dance for us which was very neat to watch. I loved to listen to the other woman who played the ukelele and sang as she danced. We headed on our way up to the falls. I was so excited to not only get to see the waterfall but we actually got to swim by a waterfall. The kids had to wear life vests because you could only walk a little ways and then it dropped off really deep. Deke and Kendon literally went underneath it which was really cool. Deke said the pressure was pretty crazy. It was so relaxing and beautiful. Did I mention how romantic Hawaii is?? :)




1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

OMG what a beautiful blog and look how everyone is so grown up since the last time I've seen you guys. Thank you so much for allowing me to view these fabulous photos of the children and also the ADULTS!! I would love to see you all I've enjoyed spending time with Brenn please give me a call when you're in our area. Hugs, Mary Lee