Saturday, September 11, 2010

This library book...

Hunter is such an attentive big brother. Just like he was with Avery when she was a baby he is so helpful and loving towards Emma. Since he is a little older he appreciates her in a different way. He was so excited when he found out that we were pregnant and we told him he was going to be a big brother again. Bless his heart but he worried a lot about me when I was pregnant and worried a lot about the baby. He misses Ethan and Dylan a lot and talks about them a lot. Sometimes at night he will start to cry and just tell us he misses his brothers. It is heartbreaking for Deke and I. Even though we have taught him about the plan of salvation it is such a huge concept to grasp. I didn't realize how much he had worried about why I kept getting sick (not understanding morning sickness) and why I couldn't crawl under the table in his forts or run at the park with him. One day about halfway through the pregnancy he came in to me and we were just talking about the baby and looking at the week by week book of what growth the baby was currently making. "Mom, is this baby going to die too?" he asked me. A mix of shock and emotion hit me like a forcefield sending me reeling. Within seconds a million possibilities of answers flooded my mind. Should I tell him everything was going to be fine even though I couldn't guarantee him that? What if I told him that and then something happened would that damage his trust in me and further complicate his understanding. As I started to tell him that I didn't know but I hoped so the words stopped short and I felt a calm peace. "No Hunter, this baby is going to be just fine" I blurted out. He smiled at me then rubbed and kissed my belly and headed off to play. I questioned my answer and then decided to rely on the peace that I had felt. I found myself whisper a quiet pleading to Heavenly Father to please let that nothing happen to the baby not just for Deke and I but for Hunter and Avery. Fear and panic started to creep into my thoughts. The thought of them going through another loss was unberable to me. Calm feeling, have to extend my faith and trust. Even at school his teacher had mentioned that he talked about missing me a lot and worrying about me. After Emma was born she told me that he had gone back to being his carefree self and that he had definitely been worrying about me and the baby. At Christmastime at his schools "Santa's workshop" he had bought a little panda bear rattle for her and wrote on it, "to my baby." The night we brought Emma home Hunter just held her and held her and kept saying how much he loved her. He is still five months later extremely protective over her. If she cries and needs anything he is right at her side helping her. She looks a lot like him. Big blue eyes, balding head, fair skin, bulldog cheeks. There are a lot of times when Deke and I are with her and feel like it is Hunter as a baby all over again. He wants to help change her diaper, bathe her, make her laugh etc. etc. A week ago Hunter got off the bus grinning and told me her had to hurry home to show Emma a present he had gotten for her. Curious I followed him into the living room where he unzipped his bagpack and pulled out a book. "Mom, I found this book today for Emma at the library and I want to read it to her." "Look Emma, look what brother got you" he exclaimed as he dropped his shoes and backpack on the spot and laid down next to her. "Brother is going to read this to you" he told her as she looked at him questioningly. I watched from the kitchen as he then proceeded to read her the entire book slowly pointing out different things in the illustrations that she might like. This moment made my heart burn. He is such a sensitive kid. I don't know how many other seven year old boys would pick out a book for their baby sister during library time but he definitely would. I am so impressed with him. I always thought it would be so neat to have a big brother and I love that Ave and Em have him. They love him so much. Whoever thought so much love could come from a library book. (You better believe that I pretty much scanned every page from that book to put in her scrapbook :) )

1 comment:

CJ said...

This melts my heart. Brit always said she didn't want her to be an only, and she has the best big brother. What a sweetheart Hunter is!