Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First bus ride

We are so excited to have Hunter at a different school this year for first grade. Last year we had him at a charter school which was okay I guess. They didn't let parents volunteer in the classroom which to me was ridiculous, they had an extremely tough handwriting policy even for kindergarteners , they hardly did any music or arts and their library was an old renovated classroom that was tiny. Not to mention his teacher should have been teaching fifth or sixth grade she was extremely strict and not affectionate at all. How many kindergarten teachers do you know that don't hug their students? This year we transferred him to the public school where most of the neighborhood kids and ward friends go and we are soooo much happier. The library is triple the size and is painted like a jungle with a giant tree with vines hanging down and flat screen computers. The teacher has parent volunteers tues. through thurs. throughout the day and you can go eat lunch with them whenever you want and bring your younger kids. The excitement that we didn't see from him last year is now bursting from him. He loves school so much and I only wish that we would have moved schools last year for him for kindergarten. When it is each kids turn to be the Star student they get to eat lunch with the principal as a treat. When we went to register him we met the principal and she shook Hunter's hand. He quickly asked her if they had Science at this school and she told him about a couple of projects they do during the year. In October they do soil studies and work with milipedes and pill bugs they even get to hold the milipedes. They do lots of Science in their classroom. His teacher is awesome and has been teaching for twenty six years she definitely knows her stuff. Some other things they will be doing this year include a musical during their Egypt unit and doing some Antartic explorations. He has already made some new friends of course. Four days after school started I was already set up to meet one of their moms at the park to get to know them so the boys could play. It is such a transition having a kid in school not to mention starting a preschool group for Ave and some kids in the ward on Mon. and Wed. starting next week. He had been begging us to let him ride the bus and so finally we checked into it. I'm not going to lie I was pretty unsure about it but after about a week of waiting 30 plus minutes in the parent pickup line with two very bored very hungry little girls I was a little more open to trying it. It is so nice because the drop off is right on the corner of our street. The girls and I just have to walk him to the corner wait a few minutes and tada! the bus takes him to school. It will be nice in the fall and winter because we can use this time for walks to the park or stroller rides for Avery and Emma. The first day the whole family walked Hunter to the bus stop. I know we are all a little sentimental it's sort ridiculous :) :) When the bus pulled up Hunter walked right on and then I realized that he might forget where to get off. I hurried and hopped on the bus and called out his name. He slowly lifted his head up and looked at me as I reminded him to pay attention and remember to get off the bus at this stop and then added to have a great day and that I loved him. It suddenly hit me as he quietly said "I love you mom" and gave me this unfamiliar look that I realized I had sort of embarrassed him. Smooth MeKell. He later said that he wasn't embarrassed he was just talking quiet but I am not so sure. I thought I would be worried as I watched the bus drive of but I actually felt good about it and was so happy to hear his excitement when I picked him up from the stop that afternoon. He loves riding the bus which is great and it is nice for our schedule. Great first grade year here we come!!!

1 comment:

CJ said...

Mark went to Noah Webster for his 6th grade year when we moved out to E. Mesa. It was good for him, but I remember the dreaded parent pickup. I've heard things have changed a lot at this school and I haven't heard that it is good. I'm glad you found a good fit for him! Have a great year Hunter! P.S. Loving Avery's ponytails!