Friday, August 02, 2013

7 year old surprise

There is probably nothing that Ave loves more than hanging out with the "big girls" meaning her mom and aunties.  So as her seventh birthday approached she decided that since they were going to be in town that she would like to have a party with the girls and do big girl stuff.  So we made her invitations to go with that theme.  She got to help me make them and both the girls were elated that they could take the lid off and on and actually pretend to paint their nails.
So we drove over and met the girls at a nail salon.  We grabbed up some yummy vanilla bean drinks and got comfy in our chairs.
Ave couldn't stop smiling.  She loved that the chair was a massage chair, that the water was warm and that they gave her a pillow behind her back.  She giggled when they scrubbed and massaged her feet and legs because she said it tickled.

She chose a bright pink polish that totally fit her and then the guy who did her toes added cute little white polka dots.  They looked so cute...
Mom decided to try some polka dots too...
It was so crazy to be there with my sisters and look over and see my daughter sitting there chatting away with everyone.  We were getting our nails done together!! It made me think of all the fun years I have ahead with my two little gals.   I love her.
Next we were headed to the mall to do some school shopping.  Little did she know that a big surprise was in store for her.  Ave has asked and asked to get her ears pierced and Deke and I decided that we would let her get them when she turned eight.  We both thought that this would be a good age where she could be responsible enough for them.  Over the past year however instead of focusing on talking about her baptism when she turns eight all she could talk about was that that was when she would get to pierce her ears.  Ooops.  It was really important to Deke and I that when she turns eight all she is focusing on is her baptism and what a special event that is, not focusing on her ears.  So together we made the decision that she was responsible enough now and that we would surprise her this year on her birthday.  When we got to the mall we told her we were going to look for some jewelery to match her school clothes.  When we walked into Claire's Deke and the rest of the family was there and we revealed the surprise!!!
She was SO EXCITED!!! She was so cute I could hardly stand it.  She just kept smiling and touching her ears and talking about which ones she picked out and showing me all the earrings she wanted to get after she could take them out.  Of course it was no surprise to us that she wanted all the long dangling earrings, any that sparkled or were bright colors.  That's our Avery :)  When she went to choose a stud to put in as her piercing of course she pointed to the largest diamond earring that cost an arm and a leg.  It is go big or go home with this girl.  Deke and I told her we would start with something a little smaller so she chose a nice diamond stud that was smaller and perfect for her ear.  The Claire's lady (who by the way was the grumpiest employee I have ever met in my life.  You would have thought her lovely little tiara may have made her a little bit friendlier but no.) marked her ears and Avery just beamed.  I reminded her that it was going to hurt but that she would be so happy that she got them pierced once it was done.
When they did the first ear Avery said "Oh ouch, owie" without a tear and still slightly smiling.  She did awesome.  Then it was time to do the other ear and now she knew that it was going to hurt.  She kept pulling up her shoulder not sure that she was wanting to do it again.  They told her to hold my hands and she closed her eyes....  
Within a few seconds it was done but this time big tears fell and she cried a little.  I told her how beautiful they looked and reminded her that I cried a little too when I did mine.  She did such a good job.  It was cute that as soon as they handed her a mirror and she saw how cute she looked the tears quickly subsided.  As she examined them carefully I asked her if she was still glad she did it.  "Yep, they are really cute. I love having my ears pierced!!"  She looks ADORABLE with them.  I love them.
All day long she kept touching them and saying "My ears are just sooooo cute! I LOVE my ears pierced!!!"  On the way home we stopped to get gas and she hurried and unbuckled to come up front and check them again in the mirror.  All afternoon at home I would see the bathroom light go on and there she would be sitting on the counter, hair pulled back, looking at them in the mirror.  "Mom! Now we can share earrings with each other!!!" she squealed as my heart swelled a million times.  "And so it begins" Deke smiled at me.  Oh girl stuff.  Sharing earrings, and curling irons and clothes and all the other fun things that having a daughter brings.
  Avery you are such a spunky, fun, silly, energetic, wonderful, beautiful, daughter.  I love watching you grow.  Happy Birthday my Ave.  Love you, Mom.

1 comment:

CJ said...

Won't say I didn't cry a little when I read this one. Happy Birthday, Avery.