Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Turning 30....

So I have to state for the record that I have never been weird about aging thus far. I really have loved every age and getting older has always seemed really normal to me and didn't really feel that different. So it sort of took me off guard the last couple of months as my birthday came near and I realized that I would soon be leaving my 20's behind. Most surprising to me was 1) how much the thought of never being in my twenties again bummed me out and 2) how for the first time in my life I felt like my parents. Let me explain, I guess it is because when I was growing up or when I think of being a child I always think of my parent being around 33 or 34, in their thirties. That is weird to me to think of being like my parents in that way. I have loved my twenties, they have been the best ten years. Not easy years at times, but very full of life, fun, blessings, excitement etc. etc. I have LOVED my twenties. It is weird to let a decade of your life go by and enter a completely new one. Deke of course like always made my birthday nothing short of wonderful for me. I woke up and had a pretty normal day with Miss E and then had to tutor from 4-6. When I pulled into the driveway I opened the garage and saw a sign taped to the garage door with two balloons, it said..."Knock before intering" instantly I was grinning wondering what they had been up to. As I knocked I could hear voices, "she's here! she's here!!!" then tons of excited giggling. "Shhhhh, settle down guys, shhhhhh" I could hear Deke saying. More laughing trying to be stiffled by Avery but not being successful. Sounds of my babies laughter, best sound ever. The door opened a crack, "close your eyes" Deke said as I closed them and he led me into the room. "Okay, now open" he said as the kids yelled, "surprise!!!!" and I opened my eyes to see this..... 30 glowing balloons hanging from the ceiling, this picture does not do justice I promise. It was really hard to get a picture of them in the complete darkness and with me not really knowing everything still about my camera. I wish the pictures could acurately show how neat looking it was. It was beautiful. Deke had taken a glow stick and put it in the balloon and then blew it up. They were awesome. On the table was an assortment of fun cards and presents. We turned the lights on and I opened my cards and gifts first thing, the kids were too excited to wait.... Cards from the kids.....LOVING the card that Avery made me that she told me was "You and Kimbre holding hands." "What happened to us?" I asked her trying pointing to our smiles. "Those are your lost teeth" she told me smiling. "Oh, wow... yeah I don't really loose teeth anymore now" I told her hugging her. Hunter did his own reinactment of me at the shooting range.....Deke got me a new robe, the first Harry Potter book, my favorite perfume Heavenly, some flip flops I have been wanting and a certificate to get my hair and nails done. Not to mention he is goint to watch the kids for me so I can fly to San Francisco for four days and be with my sisters for a birthday/sister get away. After all the present opening Deke had put a blanket in the living room under the glowing balloons and had made delicious crossant sandwiches. Decked with turkey, swiss cheese (my fave) avacadoes etc. etc. and some yummy sides. Then the whole family sat in the dark with only the colored lights of the balloons above us. It was just what I would want for my birthday dinner. All of us huddled on the blanket together. I tried to get a picture of it but again it was really hard. Seriously though glow stick in a balloon, really fun...try it. Pictures of some of the balloons the next day, not quite as fun when they are not glowing....Deke had also hung the glowing balloons all over the ceiling in our bedroom which was pretty cool. After dinner and dessert the kids sang to me and headed to bed. It was neat to sit and just look at the balloons in the dark, the house quiet and think about this turning thirty thing. I feel so grateful for my husband and not just the big things and the romantic displays that he has always given me but for the day in and day out with him and the way he treats me. I am so blessed. I have been richly, richly, blessed these first thirty years of my life. It has been a great birthday, I'll definitely remember this dinner in the dark of our living room. So, thirty, all right bring it on. I am ready, it is going to be awesome, try to make my thirties even better than my twenties. Off to San Francisco for more birthday fun.....



No comments: