Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Gonna party like its your birthday...

Deke turned 32 this year and knew exactly what he wanted to do for his birthday weekend. Deke told me he wanted to go shooting at this indoor range not far from our house for his birthday. Friday night we left the kids with a sitter and headed to the range. When we got there we were told that since it was "ladies night" and ladies got everything free it was so busy the wait would be close to two hours which would not leave us much time to shoot. The guy was really nice though and told us that if we would come back another day he would still honor the "ladies free" price, which was nice since shooting is expensive. It was going to be about ninety dollars. Deke was really bummed so instead we decided to go shopping to get him some shirts and shorts. So nice to not have to push a stroller or entertain kids while trying to shop. We could slowly walk through the store and then I could sit and watch him try stuff on and we could hold hands and just talk while we shopped. It was so nice. Determined to fulfill his birthday wish the next day we again got a babysitter and headed for the range. The same guy was working the counter and as the couple in front of us stepped up he told them the wait would be about an hour and a half. I realized that we probably weren't going to get to shoot again until we approached the counter. "Hey you guys" he said, "I can't let you walk away twice, I just can't do that to you. Give me fifteen to twenty minutes and I'll get you in" he said smiling. I thanked him and told him how much we appreciated it since it was Deke's birthday. Within ten minutes we were wearing protective glass and listening to the rules of the range being explained to us. Then handed some gear to protect our ears and a mini suitcase with a 9mm inside. When we got inside the range I couldn't believe how loud it was. The range master got us all set up and showed me how to load, chamber a round, aim and take a shot. He told me to aim at the orange rectangle in the center....so I did and what do you know for having never shot before I got all five shots in the orange. Deke was thrilled. The first time I shot it my heart jumped in my chest. I knew that it was going to be loud but it still startled me. Within a few minutes I got the idea and I LOVED it, so much fun, except when one of the shells kicked back and bounced off of my glasses and about gave me a heart attack. Deke was so proud of me, he kept hugging me and telling me how good I was doing. He told me that I had shot better than he had. My shooting paper is the guy on the right: After two hours of shooting we went to return our stuff and pay and Ben the guy who had been helping us told us we owed him $25 and then wished Deke a Happy Birthday. We couldn't believe us, he had given us an amazing deal, we had practically paid nothing to go shooting. It was so kind and nice to know that people still do those sort of things. After that we headed back to get the kids who had made some awesome cards for daddy. Front of Hunter's card:Inside of his card including a Larry Fitzgerald football and cake with 32 on top....Next page of the inside cracked us up, everyone's names on the left side. On the right side a globe, WWI and WWII and something about Amelia Earhart??????? What?? Love him.
Front of Ave's card......Inside of Avery's card......Then we headed to Scottsdale to meet Dad and Lisa for dinner at the Blue Burrito grill. It was yummy, I really liked their pico de gallo I seriously kept going back for more chips and just kept eating it. After that we headed to AJ's bakery to get something yummy instead of a cake. Their bakery is seriously so fun, all the different selections and everything not only tastes good but they make it look so pretty. We pulled up at 9:05 and it looked closed, we hurried and got the kids out and headed for the front door where someone was there locking it up. He looked at us and then opened the door a crack. "Are you guys just coming to get a treat?" he asked the kids. "Yeah its my dad's birthday today" Hunter said, and then smiling the guy opened the doors and told us to come on in. Again loving all the love given to Deke by random strangers on Deke's birthday. We headed to the counter and Deke picked out a few different desserts and we headed home. This yummy rasperry mousse in a chocolate tulip cup... Some cannoli, a cheesecake brownie, an individual lemon cheesecake.....and a small tiramisu cake in which we put some candles for him and sang to him. then the kids happily assisted in helping him blow them out.....it was such a relaxing weekend and so fun for Deke and I to get two days full of date time together. Happy Birthday babe, thirty two is going to be awesome, we love you.

No comments: