Sunday, April 22, 2007

Learning the gospel

Well about a year ago we hung a picture of all of the modern day prophets on Hunter's door and he started memorizing them. Then with the start of primary and getting the friend magazine it was time to start really delving into learning about the prophets. We started watching the Book of Mormon videos with him for FHE and then reading about the stories in the scriptures. Grandma Tobar sent him a Nephi action figure in the mail one morning and he asked to take it in the bath with him. As I sat in the bathroom putting on my makeup while he bathed this is what I heard:
He talked aloud to himself about Nephi building a ship to go to the Promised Land. He created waves in the tub and reinacted the storm and Laman and Lemuel tying Nephi to the ship. Then he got really quiet and I turned around to see him eyes closed, arms folded praying to Heavenly Father to stop the storm and "heal Nephi's ouchies." Tears brimming in my eyes as I felt the innocence of his sweet little spirit I then heard him say in a rather authoritative voice, "Nephi I will heal your ouchies." Followed by this he sang awww, awww, awww and rose Nephi out of the water slowly towards Heaven which provided me with comic relief.

I was amazed at how much he comprehended of what we were trying to teach him. On Friday when I went to the temple I got him the Abinadi action figure and the book shown above. For anyone who has little kids this book is awesome teaching about the prophets. The other night Deke went to the kitchen to get a drink and saw his light on. When we opened to door we saw him sitting on his bed, with his Book of Mormon open and looking at the pictures of Nephi in the front. Often during the day he will say to me, "Hey mom you be Abinadi and I'll be Gideon, or you be Laman and I'll be Nephi." It has been so special and heartwarming to Deke and I to see the way he is grasping onto what we are trying to teach him. It is the start of his own little testimony and we are loving watching it grow.

No comments: