Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Any suggestions?

This is what we like Hunter's room to look like when we ask him to clean up.

However upon Deke and I coming in to inspect the job he did cleaning Deke bent down to pick up a Lego out of the carpet and said, "MeKell look under the dresser." I looked and saw a brown pile underneath it and knew right away what it was. Any guesses, let's look a little closer...

Yes that would be a pile of wood: a combine of woodchips from preschool, sticks, bark and twigs.

So I reached underneath and pulled them out and look at the pile that he managed to compile under there. Ever since he turned two Hunter has loved sticks and wood. He collects sticks wherever he is. The last year however it has gotten significantly worse, he has started gathering and hiding.

At home we have found them in his socks and shoes, under his mattress, in his drawers, underneath his dresser, in my washer, in the bath tub and any other possible available crack, crevice, or hiding spot in his bedroom. We realized that he was trafficking them home from school when one of his teacher's caught him lining them underneath the sheet on his bed cot and in his cubby as well as filling his pockets and shoes to the brim. We have in no joke asked them to routinely do a sock/pocket check for wood or sticks before he comes inside from the playground. Admist all my trying to find all the hiding spots he finds more and I can't get rid of the piles of wood everywhere. Not only that but he has an emotional attachment to each one. If we try to weed some out it is always the discussion of "But Mom, this one is so cool because it is shaped like a hook , or this one has neat bumps on it." The other night Deke and I talked about it trying to figure out a solution and we are going to try to designate a spot outside just for him that he can create a "woodpile. I wonder what he is stockpiling up for but I am sure he has enough hidden to support us through an entire winter. I am handling this much better than Deke who as some of you know has very real OCD tendencies ;) :) :) I am trying to look at this as a cute little quirk of his but if any of those piles ever ends up bringing in any crawly critters than we will have to take it to another level. Any other suggestions??????

4 comments:

CJ said...

I really think this is a boy thing. Mark loved to collect rocks and he would put them in the refrigerator! Andrew kept every little toy ever. I say when he has enough in the woodpile, you could have a weenie roast and marshmallows for dessert!

Annie said...

omigosh Mekell...that is just too hilarious. I actually think this is such a cute thing he has. He's probably going to be a Park ranger or an archeologist when he gets older. What a smart boy. Maybe you could have him paint or decorate his own "Woodsy Box" and any thing he wants to put in there from outside, he could and that way he'll have something to keep it clean and he will be able to have it in his room. I used to collect different leaves and put them in a scrapbook. SO maybe when the box gets too full, you explain to him that he can pick 10 sticks or whatever out of his woodsy box and create a scrapbook type thing with those 10 and the rest can go back into the woods. Then he'll start all over again. IDK. Probably something I would do. :)

Kimbre said...

My nephew is a genius. I can see it now...Eagle Scout Project.."I built my parents a guest house out of twigs I've been collecting since I was born." Hunter, you have aunt Kimbre's full support...I might even mail a stick or too:) This little hobby's gonna pay off big...every time you find a woodchip in the dishwasher, or a tree branch in a couch cushion, just think, "real estate." :) love you guys

Grandma Sharon says. . . said...

I think his room is too clean! You're lucky it's not cluttered. You have really sweet children.